Home > Trip Reports > Mt Rainier 11/10/2012

Mt Rainier 11/10/2012

11/15/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by BrianT on 11/11/12 12:19am
Ron, Jake and myself decided to head up to Paradise leaving Issaquah around 5:30am. The drive was uneventful and we got to the gate and saw it open, drove to Paradise and left parking lot by 8:30ish

The trail was a mix of snow, and ice patches around Paradise, after a half mile or so, it was mostly snow with some ice covering on rocks.

As we crossed pebble creak, the slope from pebble was 4-6 inches of snow on top of bullet proof ice. Enough to get some traction, but would cause you to slip a bit in your boots. Once we made it past this steep section we booted it past a band of rocks, and tossed on the skins. We were able to skin from here to about 8500ft. During this process a cloud layer came in, socked us in and visibility was hard to keep the trail infront of you in sight. Once we crossed the entrance to the paradise glacier on the right, we decided to call it there just in case we got disorinted, (didn't want to drop into the paradise this time of year)

We tossed our gear on, and the turns were amazing, there was enough snow on the ice to make sweet sweet carving and happy turns down. I did catch a rock and end-over it leaving my ski attached to the rock about 10 ft behind me.

We got back to Pebble, booted back and headed out, while we were there it dropped maybe 1 inch of snow and was still snowing as we left. around 1:30ish

I met a few other TAYers up there, sorry to the solo guy I met who reconized me but I couldn't remember your name with the wind and hoodie I was wearing (apologize).

Fun times, those who didn't go missed out on the best turns I've had year to date (april to now)
One thing to note, they do have the mandatory chain effect so you may want to take them to avoid getting turned around or stuck in something.

Nice to meet you guys.

Had a great time. As a new guy, it was great to get out on the mountains with some people far better (and in better shape) to show me the ropes and give me something to work towards. Thanks for a great day guys! We will have to go again soon.

And Im stealing some pictures to write the Splitboard.com trip report.  ;D

It was nice to meet everyone.  Me and Michael were the ones that started ascending with your group from the parking lot.  We made it up to around 9800' before we were completly socked in and could barely 10' in front of us.  There was no point of going any further so we turned around there.

Vertigo came into play for our descent as it was difficult to tell which way was down.  The turns would have been great if there were any visibility.  I know I recieved a few face shots, but only because I could feel them.

There was over an inch of snow on my car when we got back to the parking lot around 2:30.

Nice to run into several of you guys; I followed the skin track up to where it disappeared at about 9,800, then took a little detour up the cleaver to the SE of Muir, which was was swept clean and required ski crampons. From my transition there was a view of Muir to the left, and some gnarly void to the right.  The ski down was 10" fluff over the hard base...visibility just about zero, and temps not much above that, a real winter experience! Lots of people out and about, appearing like apparitions in the fog. 

There was a solid inch of compacted snow on the summer trail...tempting to ski, and I know some who would have; local boarders seemed to be giving it a go, along with other terrain features like stumps, benches, etc.

Met you guys going up as I stayed overnight at Muir.  Ended up being a starry night as I enjoyed a clear sky from 8,300 up after 5p.  The next day proved to be the transition day as it started with clear skies above 9,000 at 8a and then the clouds filled in at all levels.  4-6 inch wind blown above 7,000 and 4 below of new snow.  Good to be out and get some exercise in the snow for a change.  Winter is coming.

I think we ran into you on the way down Andy, I was the split boarder in the red/blue.  We didn't need the GPS, but we stopped bellow McClure so that we could use the rocks for guides, don't think I'd want to go in the upper snowfield in that light.

It's a small world when the only skiable snow is in the same place.... 

Here's the morning shot just before the clouds came around and filled all it: https://vimeo.com/53380540  Yep, all to myself...

Sobering moment though is the two snowboarders stuck up on Rainier tonight.  If you're going up this time of year, be prepared for the worse.

Reply to this TR

mt-rainier-11-10-2012
BrianT
2012-11-11 08:19:55