Home > Trip Reports > November 08, 2012, - Mt Hood, Palmer (Again)

November 08, 2012, - Mt Hood, Palmer (Again)

11/8/12
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Hawthorne on 11/9/12 1:14am
Buddy of mine and I have been trying to make schedules align, and Thursday afternoon fell into place with just enough of a daylight window to make for Palmer snowfield. 

Left the parking lot round 2:30 skis on packs but in skiboots for the short climb to the upper equipment park.  Skinned up mile canyon from the park, breaking at base of Palmer and at midway.  2"-3" inches fresh over bare ground at the lodge as we left in light snow and no wind.  Snow continued through most of our climb til breaking out into sun above midway.  Turned round two towers short of the top bench in failing light.

Mile Canyon and lower snowfield had been track packed but not groomed.  Upper snowfield was ankle to shin deep fresh over a bulletproof deathcrust and not that much fun.  Midway down into the canyon was amazing light fluff over a firm but not slick base.  There were the occasional ice ball / rock fall mixed in, and the gear did get a little bit up.

Walked back down the climbers trail in darkness with the lodge lit up against new snow.  Didn't seam like it had snowed that much, but the accumulation on the car was worth a parting shot. 

Timberline is running Fri-Sun.  Saw one other soul hiking, no mountain operations or other skiers.

49 Months -- Cheers
Thanks for the update on Hood.  I assumed most of the good stuff had left after the recent rains.  Glad to see it's ski-able.  I am hoping to extend to 13 months in the next couple weeks via the Palmer.

Reply to this TR

november-08-2012-mt-hood-palmer-again
Hawthorne
2012-11-09 09:14:23