Home > Forum > New Dynafit Aero boots

New Dynafit Aero boots

• Randonnee
  • [Randonnee]
More
01 Apr 2005 06:17 #171449 by Randonnee
New Dynafit Aero boots was created by Randonnee
Thumbs up for performance and features in the new new Dynafit Aero boots.<br><br>I ordered the new Dynafit Aero boots from Cham3s. Thanks, silaswild for pointing out that they carried the boots. Life Link had none available and wanted quite a bit more money than what it cost to buy and ship my boots from Chamonix. The boots arrived in four or five days after I ordered online.<br><br>I have now ski toured on theAero five days (two corn days @ Mt Hood and Mt Rainier, two deep powder days @ Whistler on Flute and Oboe Cr., and a local tour on dense windpack up high and breakable crust lower), and lift skied on them part of two days @ Whistler. The Thermofit liners from my old Dynafit All Terrain boots were placed in the new boots, allowing me to use them right away without fitting.<br><br>The Aero is considerably stiffer than my old blue Dynafit All Terrain. The step in feature is a definite improvement, and is helpful. The rear spoiler may be moved up or down released by a pushbutton, which allows rear support for downhill skiing comparable to my old '93 Nordica TR 9, but when down offers comfort and some freedom for hiking. The ski/ walk mechanism is activated by a dial instead of a lever. The dial seems ok, and worked easily, I cannot say whether I like it more or less than a lever. The buckles appear to be of higher quality than my All Terrain. The boots performed well in powder, corn, and on piste, and also on some more difficult breakable crust conditions. I would make a direct comparison to the skiing performance of my Nordica TR 9. Hiking and skinning on the Aero was just fine. The downside is the weight, 68 oz. per boot out of the box, heavier than listed by Cham3s and Life-link, heavier than my old All Terrain and surprisingly close to the TR 9. My boots are size 29, the given weight is for a smaller boot. I skied on the K2 Shuksan 190 cm (107mm shovel) with Dynafit Comfort bindings..<br><br>I hope that the new boots are more durable than my old Dynafits. My All Terrains had many cracks which were arrested by melting holes at the end of the cracks. At Paradise in Feb, one of the plastic buckle straps failed and required field repair by holes made by the knife awl and wire. My All Terrains had probably &gt;150 days use, about three of four of those days on lifts. I have randonnee skied on seven different boots. My favorite for comfort and performance are the Nordica TR 9, which are not Dynafit compatible.<br><br>Before leaving Whistler, I tried on a Garmont Megaride on one foot and my Aero on the other foot. The Aero felt slightly lighter. Stiffness (standing on the carpet) felt very similar for both. The Megaride felt about an inch higher on the front, due to the forth buckle. The rear height was similar. The Megaride looks like a great boot.<br><br>I am satisfied and pleased with my Aero boots. I wanted a three buckle boot for touring comfort, and do not feel the need for a four buckle boot for my skiing. I would agree that the Aero is a big ski boot. At Whistler, I skied the same powder terrain on a different day on my Lange Comps on Dynastar 4 x 4 with Fritsches but felt that I skied the powder just as well on the Aero. I have toured in four buckle boots and prefer the three buckle for touring comfort (chafing the front of my lower leg by the four buckle). I have not skied the Megaride, but it seems to be an excellent boot as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• curmudgeon
  • [tim_place]
More
01 Apr 2005 06:46 #171450 by curmudgeon
Replied by curmudgeon on topic Re: New Dynafit Aero boots
Thanks for a complete report!

• silaswild
  • [silaswild]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
01 Apr 2005 11:19 #171454 by silaswild
Replied by silaswild on topic Re: New Dynafit Aero boots
Wow, all I had to do was suggest a source for the Aero, and in return get a full report on it. Thanks for posting! TAY is so great, thanks to Charles too!