Home > Trip Reports > Oct 26, 2012, Mt Rainier, whiteout

Oct 26, 2012, Mt Rainier, whiteout

10/26/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by BrianT on 10/27/12 11:11pm
Howdy!

Freeskier, a friend from work, and myself decided to head up to Rainier. Met up, and gates were open at 8ish when we got there. We got up to Paradise, got dressed and ready and left parking lot around 9:20am.

We Took our time up, just relaxing as this was still my 2nd time out with my friend on a splitboard and we just wanted to get a feel for group, so no speed racing up today.

The trail was fully snow covered, and we had no issues skinning the entire way up w/o taking ski's off. Pan point was looking pretty nice and if it continues to snow, the winter route will be in hopefully soon.

As we got above pan point, the wind picked up and we had to put on our goggles and put on the heavier gear.  We made it to about 7400 before we got close the the Paradise glacier drop off cliffs which kinda concerened me as visibility was very poor. We skirted across the spine by it, and got on the climbers right left side of the spine. We ended up hitting a bowl around the 7400 spot and decided to call it there.

I noticed a pretty wind loaded hill, when freeskier started to ski down, it slide on him about 3-5 feet. So be careful, if you guys go out and hit some wind loaded deposits, it had potential to get really bad.

My friend put his board together and was not able to make it down due to a nasty trap crust on top, so we ended up booting back to below pan point and just skied the trail from below there. A few burried rocks, and a few low spots, but nothing to concern if you skied with caution. We were able to ski down stairs and into parking lot with ease.

All in all, it was a better time than hanging in the city, but one of my worst times on the mountain. :)

Hope anyone else who went had a better time than we did.
Thanks for the write-up Brian. Your eye for that wind-loaded spot was pretty keen. Being up there with you guys made the trip worthwhile despite the conditions. And the blackberry pie and beers that Luke and I ordered afterwards was worth the drive alone........

Reply to this TR

oct-26-2012-mt-rainier-whiteout
BrianT
2012-10-28 06:11:23