Home > Trip Reports > 10-26-12 Baker wilderness

10-26-12 Baker wilderness

10/26/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by powhound on 10/27/12 12:39pm
Hooked up with Ale Capone, Ben, and Leeland(sp?) yesterday to get some in the Baker area. We decided to head towards Hadley Peak. Ben wasn't feeling like pushing the vanagon up the snowy road (can't blame him), so we parked well before the trailhead parking lot and decided to go for the Cascadian approach instead of skinning the road at around 9am. We boot packed maybe 1000 vert through some tight trees and a pillow field, then got to a place where we could start skinning.

We ended up reaching the zone around 1:30 or so, scoped some lines and started heading that way, around 2:45 we got sopped in clouds and came up on a nice line and decided to drop. The snow was amazing, stable waist deep blower. Skinned back up and while debating another line, with the skin track set, we decided we should probably start heading back as it was quite a trek.

We decided to skin back the summer trail and road instead of the bushwhacking way we approached, and reached the car at around 8 pm after skinning and skiing with headlamps for a couple hours.

All in all a great day with some of the deepest October pow I've laid a track in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uLmWILXQd9E

That looked tasty!

I especially liked the hungry look in Scott's eyes at about 2:30 - like a wolf after the prey...

Now that is some sweet deep pow pow. 8) Nice to see the pooch getting in on the fun.

Nice work sniffin that out.

It was nice to break up the Muir madness

author=snoholic link=topic=25912.msg109580#msg109580 date=1351476620]
Nice work sniffin that out.

I was just lucky to be along for the ride ;)

my final day of not owning a 4wd was also the first day of my winter season.

my 2wd and summer tires earned us an extra thousand feet of bushwhacking

scott rated this approach as a "C2 with occasional C3 cruxes" on the CDS (cascadian decimal system of bushwhack grading)

in a mere 3 hours we gained the ridge.

5 hours from the car we got sick of breaking trail and decided it was time to ride some pow.

we started around 6200 feet and rode just over 1000 feet of the deepest snow i've ever opened a season with.

then it was back to trailbreaking.

looking back at our line (just right of the center rib of trees)

pay to play

Thanks for the cool video and photos guys! And to leyland for the tour.

Good day,. Dog is ready for more lisa.

Reply to this TR

10-26-12-baker-wilderness
powhound
2012-10-27 19:39:54