Home > Trip Reports > Oct 25 Palmer Pow, 1 time TAY

Oct 25 Palmer Pow, 1 time TAY

10/15/12
Posted by nickwiarda on 10/27/12 1:20am
Greetings from a first-time poster and a first-time TAYer.  I made it 12 months Thursday, had the pleasure of meeting Hawthorne towards the top of my trip up the Palmer Glacier at Mt Hood.  12 months was almost threatened by a bad IT band that started giving me problems a couple of weeks ago.  I've been treating it aggressively, fortunately it held up great and I was able to TAY.

Thursday was the only sunny day forecasted for the fore-see-able future.  I had the day off and decided I couldn't pass it up.  I was rewarded with powder and didn't know what to do with myself!  A few spots had some rocks cropping out and I found some "hidden treasure" (Hawthorne's joke) a couple of times.  Other than that it was deep enough to have a ton of fun!  Here are some pics.  I'm glad to have completed 12 months and look forward to a lot more fun in the mountains this year.
Well done!! Must feel good to have a year under your belt!

Powder and blue sky, you are one lucky guy.
Good luck getting to 24!

Wow - looks a lot different than 1 month ago.  Great job with TAY

9/25/12 - Palmer

Thanks for the encouragement!  It is amazing what a month can do, I was a little worried what October would be like after seeing Palmer in September.  Little did I know...

Good to meet you Nick.

Best October snow I've had, especially the upper snowfield, which was shin to knee deep over firm hold-over snow.  Lots of people and dogs out, with the density decreasing with elevation.  Saw a few others make the top bench, but Nick and I had it to ourselves for about 1/2 hour and started down alone. 

TLine was scheduled to go Fri-Sun, but the weather closed in.  Mountain operations was out track-packing,  pushing down, and clearing towers.  Everyone was friendly.  Don't know if they just ran out of shift time or intended to, but the cat operator left a nice untracked line on the upper field.  Thanks. 

Good luck on your streak Nick.  October made 4 years TAY for me.

Cheers.

Reply to this TR

oct-25-palmer-pow-1-time-tay
nickwiarda
2012-10-27 08:20:13