Home > Trip Reports > October 25, 2012, Ruth Mountain - NC

October 25, 2012, Ruth Mountain - NC

10/25/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by dberdinka on 10/26/12 3:18pm
Thursday was clearly the day.  So I bailed out on all responsibility and went to my favorite early-season ski destination.   Crowds did not materialize.  In fact no one materialized.  Once I skinned-up about 3 miles in it was left up to me to bust trail all the way to the summit.   By the time I summitted the bluebird skies of morning had given way to dense cumulus in all directions.   I managed 1700'+ of fall line skiing in settled boot-top powder before deciding that heading directly to valley bottom was not happening.  I climbed back up to the regular approach before experiencing more excellent turns all the way down to Hannegan Camp.  Definitely one of the best October days I've ever had.

Wow!

I'm in Hawaii and totally jealous. Can't wait to get home for snow.

I have been thinking about Ruth, but not doing anything about it.  Looks like you had the perfect trip fall colors clear day and fluffy snow! thanks for the report.

Beautiful, this makes me want to ski. 

wow.  October poster child non plus ultra.  nice timing!

Your mother says "Shape up!"; you should have done at least two more laps!  She said take her along and you won't get by with a single track in the snow.

It's still climbing season, it's still climbing season, it's still...dammit!  Not working. 

Great photos Darin.  I praise and curse you at the same time.

Damn. Looks like North Carolina gets some decent hills and pow.

North Carolina? I didn't think you could do this stuff out there (and I spent 24 years of my life in Winston Salem). Just moved to Seattle and now I see snow back home? Wtf? Lol

Where exactly is Ruth mountain?

My suspicion is that he's referring to the Ruth Mountain in the North Cascades.

That would explain A LOT. I knew there couldn't be that much snow back in NC this time a year.

I feel like an idiot now haha

I think he meant "NC", as in "No Contest" the best turns in October this year.

author=jbapple link=topic=25898.msg109685#msg109685 date=1351650520]
That would explain A LOT. I knew there couldn't be that much snow back in NC this time a year.
I feel like an idiot now haha

You just moved from the right coast to the left. I doubt anyone could fault you for not being in the know on "NC".

author=jwplotz link=topic=25898.msg109687#msg109687 date=1351651457]
I think he meant "NC", as in "No Contest" the best turns in October this year.

See, even the old locals don't know for sure  ;)
Welcome to Turns-All-Year.

The day I went skiing in North Carolina was the day I gave up skiing for good --- until I moved here.

See I'm the opposite. I grew up on the snow in NC. I feel like it gives me an appreciation for real mountains. Gotta love the east coast ice right? No? No one? Lol

Hmmmmm.......yes it's NC for North Cascades.  A failed attempt to minimize confusion for the geographically impaired who might confuse Ruth Mountain for Mount Ruth.  Mount Ruth residing in MRNP...which does not stand for the Mullahs Republic of Northern Pakistan.

I'm sure many good turns were experienced in the North Cascades on that Thursday.  FWIW John my best turns always seem to occur in October!

Darrin -- ya jes gotta stop draggin' your right pole!!  Other than that, good work!

Nice style!

I like the hand drag..

Reply to this TR

october-25-2012-ruth-mountain-nc
dberdinka
2012-10-26 22:18:49