Home > Trip Reports > October 26, 2012, aborted trip to Muir

October 26, 2012, aborted trip to Muir

10/26/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by r1de on 10/26/12 12:32pm
After all the great reports and vids, I decided to give it a go today.  Had planned to go with a friend, but he was not recovered from illness, so went solo counting on joining some others on the way up.

Temps were just hovering around freezing at Paradise when I arrived about 10.  There was light mixed precip.  I set out from the edge of the lot on splitboard and got warm & soggy quickly, but pushed on in the hopes of colder temps.  Coverage at the bottom was very good.  Became fairly windy and cold, with some driving sleet and poor visibility, past Pebble.  Joined a group of two others - Steve and Greg (thanks guys!) - and pressed a bit further.  Talked to some guys on their way down who turned back at Moon Rocks due to zero vis and deteriorating weather.  My adoptive group decided to call it and I agreed.

The trip down was good, but with a lot of thinly-concealed rocks.  No core shots or serious edge damage, but I'll need to finesse the base now.

By the time we got back in the Skyline Trail area, the snow was pretty think and heavy.

Anybody else get further up today - how was it?

Reply to this TR

october-26-2012-aborted-trip-to-muir
r1de
2012-10-26 19:32:39