Home > Trip Reports > VID(s) Muir Blower Pow OCT 24, 2012, MRNP

VID(s) Muir Blower Pow OCT 24, 2012, MRNP

10/15/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by savegondor on 10/26/12 5:15am
Wonderful! Muir powder is certainly rare and it seems to happen most often early season.

...jealous! And I have no excuses for not being up there ;)

wow that looks so so nice. 
wow.

"I don't really know why he's slowing down.?"

Good one.
That seemed to be top speed for the anti pistes that day. It did seem silly slow. Felt like you could have easily straightlined it to pebble creek, but what can I say? I like to turn.

And to Jason:
I did find it hard to believe there were so few people up there considering the reports, weather (reasonable), and the inevitable early season stoke.  Just ten of us skiing in one big group that stretched itself out to Muir and back (nice job on the tag, Rusty!).  Didn't even see another car in the parking lot.
All y'all must have gotten a lot of stuff done that day instead of skiing the pow pow on Muir.

Thanks for the skin track, it was definitely appreciated! Perfect October Pow and no core shots getting down to the parking lot!

It was nice to meet and ski with you fine folks!
Here are a few pics.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4795653488277.195529.1204161047&type=3

That looks so great, I feel like a lazy bum, for not going out prospecting myself, thanks for the report.

That was such an excellent day 8}

The pleasure coming down the snowfield MORE than made up for the pain getting down past Panorama Point.  Tonight I finally got time to look at my skis and voila! no core shots!  

Most of the way up after Pebble Creek up to Anvil, we walked in the skin track, seeing no other features.  I knew the snow was going to be good, but I was also dreading the actual skiing down.  The last time I skied  inside the Muir ping pong ball, vertigo had me too sick to ski, and I had to walk down quite a ways. But there were just enough little clearings, when I could see beyond my ski tips, that made me keep climbing.  Each time, I was tempted to rip the skins and head down, to take advantage of the brightness and contrast, but Man! am I glad I kept going.  Around Moon Rocks it began to lift.  By the time it opened up for good, I realized I was past Anvil, and coming up past the last little ridge.  

It's been a couple of years since I tagged Muir, so even though the others were screaming back down, and trashing all the good snow,  8) I kept going up (sorry Amar - no photo evidence). I stepped onto the first flat ledge, and immediately ripped the skins, and headed down with no break.  A few minutes down I saw Ed had waited for me. Thanks Ed!  That's twice you've got me down off that mountain!   Paul and Mike, I'm glad you got lost - it gave me a chance to catch up!  ;)

Boy did my quads cry for mercy!  I could only do about 15-20 turns before the burn made me stop, grinning and panting, and dying to get going again.  My legs were Syskyo'd!  The snow was just like Jayme described it - deep, silky, like floating all the way.  It went by too fast.  Just below Pebble Creek, we re-entered the cloud and fogginess, and the sharks started biting.  Great day in the mountains!  Shout out to Carl, Tara, Zach, Jeff, who may still be up there harvesting, for all I know.

Robie - good job rehabbing your knee and visiting your private stashes.  Someday I'll be stashworthy, eh?  Let's go again - name the time.

Yeah, Dude. Syskyo'd.  8)

Thanks to everyone who broke trail!
Wow is all I can say!
The best snow I've ever skied on Muir ;D
Working on the video now...

author=kneel turner link=topic=25890.msg109478#msg109478 date=1351287493]
"I don't really know why he's slowing down.?"

Good one.
That seemed to be top speed for the anti pistes that day. It did seem silly slow. Felt like you could have easily straightlined it to pebble creek, but what can I say? I like to turn.

And to Jason:
I did find it hard to believe there were so few people up there considering the reports, weather (reasonable), and the inevitable early season stoke.  Just ten of us skiing in one big group that stretched itself out to Muir and back (nice job on the tag, Rusty!).  Didn't even see another car in the parking lot.
All y'all must have gotten a lot of stuff done that day instead of skiing the pow pow on Muir.

well, I can attest to the fact that strait lining didn't garner all that much speed it was just THAT DEEP.  i would have been tempted to lap the steeper sections of paradise if the weather had been stable enough to see the crevasses. 

https://vimeo.com/52357065

You guys got it good! What a week,especially for October! ;D

Wow. Really nice video, Carl. Thanks for a great day guys!

Reply to this TR

vid-s-muir-blower-pow-oct-24-2012-mrnp
savegondor
2012-10-26 12:15:26