Home > Forum > A request from the Cle Elum Ranger District

A request from the Cle Elum Ranger District

• Larry_R
  • [Larry_R]
More
31 Mar 2005 23:27 #171441 by Larry_R
With permission, I'm posting a letter I recieved from Todd Stiles, a ranger with the Cle Elum RD. I believe that this deserves our strong support. I think of the skiing (and dodging the snomos) on the SE side of Mt. Baker and wonder if this is what would happen elsewhere if there were significant staffing reductions from the already slim winter Ranger District staff. Other issues too of course.<br><br>Larry<br><br><br>***********<br>Dear Larry,<br><br>This letter is to ask for non-motorized user group support in our efforts<br>to pursue grant funding for our winter recreation program. We want to<br>continue building on our efforts to serve the winter recreation needs of<br>all user groups, with a particular emphasis on promoting well-being between<br>non-motorized and motorized enthusiasts. In past winter seasons, we have<br>had three snow rangers patrolling sno-parks and winter trails. We have<br>performed signing and maintenance work at sno-parks, and ski trails<br>throughout the Cle Elum Ranger District. We have signed and maintained<br>Voluntary Non-motorized areas, and official area closures that exclude<br>snowmobiles. We have also engaged in a proactive wilderness boundary<br>patrol to prevent snowmobile trespass into the Alpine Lakes Wilderness.<br><br>As I write this letter, it is apparent that our appropriated Forest Service<br>budget for winter recreation patrol and maintenance is very limited for the<br>winter of 2005-2006. We are re-applying for our current Washington State<br>Parks funding, and our current National Recreation Trails Program (NRTP)<br>funding. Because of our budget limitations, we will also be seeking<br>additional funding for winter snow ranger education and enforcement, and<br>ski trail maintenance funding. We also plan to pursue funding for<br>non-motorized snow rangers that would dedicate the vast majority of their<br>attention to non-motorized issues.<br><br>A statement of support for these efforts from the non-motorized winter<br>sports community would be a great addition to our application packages. We<br>plan to apply through several sources, including: Washington State Parks<br>Winter Recreation Program, National Recreation Trails Program (NRTP), and<br>the NonHighway and Off-road Vehicle Activities (NOVA). User support of<br>Education and Enforcement and trail maintenance activities expressed in<br>writing would be greatly appreciated. All of our application packages are<br>due by May 1, 2005. Your swift response would help greatly. All letters<br>may be sent directly to me. My e-mail address is: tstiles01[you know what to put here]fs.fed.us,<br>traditional mail address listed [below].<br><br>Sincerely,<br><br>Todd Stiles<br><br>Forestry Technician<br><br>United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service <br>Wenatchee National Forest District <br>Cle Elum Ranger Station <br>803 W. 2nd St. <br>Cle Elum, WA 98922<br>Voice (509) 852-1100<br><br><br><br>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.