Home > Trip Reports > 10-24-2012, Heliotrope Ridge Powder

10-24-2012, Heliotrope Ridge Powder

10/24/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by AlpinWeiss on 10/25/12 7:27am
Went up to Heliotrope Ridge yesterday to check on the condition of our early season snowpack. The road was snowy for probably the last 2 miles but passable to Subarus for the moment at least.

We were able to skin from the car and slogged our way up the summer trail. Above treeline visibility went from poor to ping pong ball, but the snow was deeper and better up high. We skinned up to a big crevasse below the ridge proper at about 6800' and got two laps in up high and one short lap down low. Snow was deep and light, relatively progressive up high with a slightly thicker layer just forming on the top.

The deproach was a combination of luge run, downhill skinning, and hiking but went pretty well. At the end of the day things had warmed considerably and tree-bombs were widespread.

Not bad for October!

Skinning from the car:

Turns down low:

Deeper pow up high:
Just what I wanted to see, thanks! How were the creek crossings?

October 24th.  Good way to start the season.
Andrew forgot to mention the layer lurking beneath the white layer, but I guess it's implied in Roctober.
Didn't have to transition on any creek crossings, just tip toed through them.
Man, it felt good to be back in some powder!

Entering Winter

Creek Crossing

Powder Smile

Powder Point

Looks awesome! Can't wait  :D

Awesome to see you guys up there yesterday.. It was a good kickstart to the season!

great photos!

we were up there yesterday (10/25) and found excellent conditions. it was clear and cold the night before which made for super light and dry powder skiing. best of all, it was sunny for the first three runs! a whiteout rolled in around 2 pm and we called it quits

i would recommend that powder seekers this weekend go to the very top of the ridge and ski from there because coverage is excellent up high. below the hogsback there were definitely a lot of rocks hiding under the snow.

Pure unadulterated torture to look at that great snow, and not have some of my own, thanks for the great pictures!

Reply to this TR

10-24-2012-heliotrope-ridge-powder
AlpinWeiss
2012-10-25 14:27:27