Home > Trip Reports > Oct 24 Mission Ridge, YES... Mission Ridge!

Oct 24 Mission Ridge, YES... Mission Ridge!

10/15/12
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 10/24/12 1:24pm
I was working happily at my desk until the Wenatchee World arrived with an inspiring front page photo of some kids I know knee deep in fresh snow at Mission Ridge

So that was it for my day in a chair.  I left the office in a hurry and left a message on the phone of my ski buddy, Jtack.

Snow in the lot is a foot deep and I put on my skis right at the car.  I skinned up the trail to Lake Clara, which was nice

and then across the talus field under the cliffs toward the ski area
(which was not nice)

I skied Central Park to midway and while I didn't get any face-shots, it's only because I was keeping the speed down.  The snow is in the neighborhood of 14" deep and just dense enough that you don't ride the bottom -at least not very often.

At midway, I started down the service road and ran into Jtack and his dog, Jo.  With much reverie we gawked at the snow and marvelled that the whole town isn't up here enjoying the bonus snow days.  I decided that Jamie could use some company, and he agreed it would be okay if I followed him uphill for some extra turns. 

The skiing on the runs is really nice.  The groomers have run over the deep snow, but not groomed it.  So the base is compact but the surface is soft.  Here is Jamie wallowing in knee deep snow just before we figured out that the groom track was better..

Back at the lot, (where I was able to ski right up to the driver door on my truck), it was fun to see two "you're going anyway" stickers parked next to each other.

9 seconds of video fun:
http://youtu.be/374Q23Qbx10

I love winter.
oh yeah, and then three mule deer bounded across our path!  What a day!

First, I love how you included the actual paper clipping. Very cool.

Second, I was so excited to see who those cute kids belonged to! Their mom is Ruthie Mahre! You might have heard a thing or two about her twin brothers Phil and Steve. Or perhaps you might remember their grandpa, Dave, who was one of the great American alpinists of the Golden Age. Ruthie is the sweetest woman and a real hero of mine. I got to have her as  a student of mine while teaching at the University of Puget Sound Physical Therapy program. Best of all I got to meet her dad  in person at her graduation. What an honor. How cool to see that she has wonderful progeny out on the slopes!

You brought a smile to my face and a tear to my eye. Thanks!

Bruce

Ruth is well known at MR and her husband is a doc for the patrol as well. Nice folks and Dr. Rossi did a very nice job fixing my knee.

It was dog deep, my little black dog is 17 in at the shoulder, and in places he was subsurface!  What fun to have fresh snow this early.  Mike suggested he had only missed 3 months of skiing at Mission, I guess I'm in the same boat.  A few more pictures,  don't know if this will last but it sure was a great way to start winter skiing.

Looks like mid-season over there.  Especially the third photo.

Fortunately the shop at the Hampton lodge has quick base repair turn around.

Affordable too!

Reply to this TR

oct-24-mission-ridge-yes-mission-ridge
mikerolfs
2012-10-24 20:24:03