Home > Trip Reports > 10-23-12 muir

10-23-12 muir

10/23/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by powhound on 10/23/12 12:44pm
Headed up to Rainier today. Got stopped at the gate at 8, got through at 9:30 or so. Met up with snoholic lisa and dod. Got a little discombobulated around pebble creek for a little while with the new snow and low vis. We zigzaged up until we finally ran into the snowfield. Skinned to about 9000 around anvil, and decided we were high enough to turn around. My buddy was gassed, lisa had some pretty bad blisters, and dods skin was hanging by a thread. Plus the wind was blowing and the vis was pretty bad.

After we started riding, and skiing the weather cleared for a bit and had decent vis on the way down. The snow up high was anywhere from wind buffed to stashes of waist deep blower. Down low was boney but still knee deep, and if you're light on you toes you won't get beat up too bad. I made it through with no core shots.

Video to follow
So was the weather that bad up at 9000ft? Trying to decide if it's worth going that high tomorrow, or just tour around a bit lower.

It was variable, a group passed us as we were transitioning, and probably got some sun at camp. It was partly cloudy and sunny for a couple hours, and then we had snow flurries when we were getting ready to leave. You can watch the weather and use it as your guide, but you don't know until you're there.

It was in the best interest of the group to head down. We could have continued on and been fine. It is cold up there, so pack warm gloves and jackets. I think everyone had cold hands at some point today.

Sweet, thanks man. And yep, can't figure anything out for sure til you're there!

It was a great time! Only a short time of meanderings around pebble creek in the white out before we were on our way up. Dry cold smoke snow in October, who could ask for more.

My one blister will heal, the raw skin was unhappy with the chaffing but duct tape was an easy fix. Hope your buddy is feeling better today.

Glad to meet you guys and thanks Zach and DOD for the good times!

Fun Times

Good meeting you too Lisa, Pete's doing OK

Heres a video from the day

https://vimeo.com/52136528

Lisa, I am fine, just a sore body and a bruised ego! It was nice to meet you guys out there on the mountain and hopefully I run into you guys again soon! I can't wait to get back out there. It beats the office any day of the week!

Nice Video, Maybe I should go back to snowboarding.

author=powhound link=topic=25862.msg109399#msg109399 date=1351177881]
Heres a video from the day

Thumbs up on the vid.

Thanks, looks like you guys got it good on Wednesday....I thought about going back...oh well Baker in the morning...I better get some sleep

Reply to this TR

10-23-12-muir
powhound
2012-10-23 19:44:27