Home > Trip Reports > Oct 21, 2012, Mt. McCrae, Selkirks

Oct 21, 2012, Mt. McCrae, Selkirks

10/21/12
Posted by Skier of the Hood on 10/23/12 4:03am
Snow started to fly last week, so it was time to make the annual snowgrimage to the small glacier on Mt. McCrae south of Revelstoke. Headed out sat afternoon and met up with some friends at the halfway hotsprings in Nakusp. Little sleep was had with an alarm set for 4:30am to make the 5:30 ferry. Realized I forgot the chains on the drive but had little problem topping out at 1800m on the logging road. With a 30cm base the summer trail allowed for effortless skinning through the forest. The glacier had a base of 3ft with about 20cm of fluffy stuff on top of a crust overlaying denser snow that was glued solidly to the ice. A large group turned up around 1pm and the small glacier was thoroughly farmed by the time we were the last ones out. We were the only ones with glacier gear, so we got some funny looks from the locs. I do have some pics from the summer showing several open crevasses even on this small pocket so I don't think our carrying of extra weight was totally unfounded. Although I won't be bringing it the next time I head up this week.
The large group that left before us apparently attempted to cross a partially frozen lake and one of their members fell in  ::)

Pictures to come when my friend sends them to me.

Reply to this TR

oct-21-2012-mt-mccrae-selkirks
Skier of the Hood
2012-10-23 11:03:10