Home > Forum > NW Avvy Center Need Your Support--NOW

NW Avvy Center Need Your Support--NOW

• JCK
  • [James_Keithly]
More
30 Mar 2005 08:34 #171427 by JCK
Action Needed TODAY! <br><br>Please urge your legislator to support funding for The Northwest Weather and Avalanche Center.<br><br>Friends,<br><br>NWAC needs your help! Governor Gregoire has appropriated funds for NWAC in her budget, but the recommended amount falls short of what NWAC needs to operate at full capacity for the next two years - and the legislature has yet to pass the budget! In order to ensure NWAC is able to provide its important avalanche forecasting service to the winter backcountry community, we must speak up to our elected officials, NOW! This is a very critical time for the NWAC - please take a minute and show your support.<br><br>Call or e-mail your legislator and a member of the House Appropriations or Senate Ways and Means Committee and ask for the additional funding needed to keep the center fully operational in 2006 and 2007 - $105,000 from Parks and Recreation in 2006 and $120,000 from Parks & Recreation in 2007. <br><br>You can find your legislator by searching on this website - www.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/Default.aspx

In addition, the following members of the House of Representatives will play a key role in this process. Call them too!

Rep. Helen Sommers (D - 36th District - Seattle)
Chair of the House Appropriations Committee.

www1.leg.wa.gov/house/sommers
(360) 786-7814

Rep. Fromhold (D - 49th District - Vancouver)
Vice Chair of the House Appropriations Committee. www1.leg.wa.gov/house/fromhold
(360) 786-7924

Rep. Kelli Linville (D - 42nd District - Bellingham)
Mt. Baker is in her District.
www1.leg.wa.gov/house/linville
(360) 786-7854

Rep. Gary Alexander (R - 20th District - Olympia)
Ranking Republican on the House Appropriations Committee.
www1.leg.wa.gov/house/alexander
(360) 786-7990

Rep. Mike Armstrong (R- 12th District - Wenatchee)
Mission Ridge is in his District.
www1.leg.wa.gov/house/armstrong
(360) 786-7832

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ski_photomatt
  • [ski_photomatt]
More
30 Mar 2005 09:42 #171429 by ski_photomatt
Replied by ski_photomatt on topic Re: NW Avvy Center Need Your Support--NOW
Should we ask for 105,000 additional funding (over and above what Gov. Gregoire appropriated) or 105,000 total? How much has Gregoire put into her budget (for comparision)?

• juan
  • [jon_ambrose]
More
30 Mar 2005 10:13 #171432 by juan
I called my State Senator, Pat Thibadeau, and spoke with an aide. I was told that she (the aide) would call me back with the actual figures that are in the budget. I made my wishes clear that I wanted the full funding (105k and 120k) added to the budget. And the Senator is on the Ways and Means Comm. <br><br>If I hear from the aide, I will report back.