Home > Trip Reports > Oct 18 Coleman Pinnacle loop

Oct 18 Coleman Pinnacle loop

10/15/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Lynden Don on 10/19/12 1:24am
The morning was looking like I would get in one last loop around Coleman Pinnacle before the early snow start to fall.  The drive up from Lynden was even looking hopeful, broken blue skies to the south.  When I arrived at the upper parking lot of the Baker Ski Area, the blue skies had not materialized, the wind had picked up and rain was starting to fall.  The pinnacle was definitely out of the picture with it being so exposed to the south wind that was definitely increasing.  So I was happy with a the large snowfield at the head of Upper Bagley Lake.

I think this will probably be one of my last outings on the summer ski set up, Merrell Ultra Tele boots and Silveretta 500 AT bindings.  The work very well together.
New snow is just around the corner.

Don
We put in an excellent XC skiing training session on that patch several weeks ago.  Surprisingly good skating and schussing.

Last year (although more like mid September) that patch was a lot bigger. So much so that it wrapped around the lake and the lake had barely melted out. BUT it was also a pretty messed up ski, mostly featuring vertical stripes of clinkers from avy debris that never seemed to melt down. So it looks like this year it's a shorter but more smooth-riding option?

If the viz is bad this weekend I might consider going up there and hitting that little patch rather than going high ... it has the advantage of being close and easy to find even in a whiteout.

I've always seen that snowfield but would choose to go up high and ski.  It is definitely a nice sheltered option on those stormy days.

Don

Reply to this TR

oct-18-coleman-pinnacle-loop
Lynden Don
2012-10-19 08:24:13