Home > Forum > ESPN Avy Series---Good Read

ESPN Avy Series---Good Read

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
17 Oct 2012 13:12 #109107 by Scotsman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2012 17:19 #109112 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: ESPN Avy Series---Good Read
Yes, definitely a good read.

I especially like Jill Fredston’s quote at the end:
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains."

More
18 Oct 2012 16:20 #109145 by Shred13
Replied by Shred13 on topic Re: ESPN Avy Series---Good Read
Outside Magazine just released the Nov. 2012 issue. It has a well written story about the Tunnel Creek Avalanche called Tunnel Vision. It was written by Megan Michelson, one of the twelve in the crew that day. Very good read, more personal then some of the other articles I have read on the accident. Left my stomach in knots, but a good reminder as the new snow is coming in. Thoughts go out to friends and families that lost loved ones last year.

• Lynden Don
  • [Lynden Don]
More
18 Oct 2012 18:03 #109149 by Lynden Don
Replied by Lynden Don on topic Re: ESPN Avy Series---Good Read
This is a timely message with the upcoming season just around the corner. It shows the importance of passing on knowledge to the new riders.
I always remember the saying "There are old mountaineers and bold mountaineers, but never an old and bold mountaineer"
Take enough risks in the mountains, sooner or later your luck is going to run out. I prefer to use my head for more than a hat rack, when ever I am out playing in the backcountry I am constantly watching and evaluating the snow pack.

Don