Home > Trip Reports > October 10, 2012, Mt. Daniel, Daniel Glacier

October 10, 2012, Mt. Daniel, Daniel Glacier

10/10/12
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 10/10/12 2:53pm
ArLO and I skied the Daniel Glacier north from the Middle Peak on Mt. Daniels under Clear, smoke-free, warm skies.  It was excellent skiing for any month, and a big surprise for October.

The entry fee, however, was a little steep.  The snow on the climber's right side of the cliffs above Hyas Glacier is gone, so we went to the left.  The snow here was discontinuous and firm.  A fall could have easily led to injury.   

Low snow coverage above Hyas Gl.

The traverse under the East Summit was pretty nasty with no snow on it.  I used the pick of my whippet in the firm steep dirt.

...and the return ski above the Hyas was no better than the ascent.  It was a rock solid sun-cupped chatter festival with nasty consequences to any potential fall.

Plus some butt skidding between patches...

The two glaciers north of the summits (Lynch north of main summit and Daniel north of middle) are in great shape and worth the price of admission.  Just be careful.  I was surprised at the amount of time I thought we were in dangerous terrain.  Earlier season ascents are worry free affairs, but this late in the year with so much exposed rock, it is a more serious mountain.

parting shot;
You just keep raising the bar, what could be more fun than a long dusty hike, fall you go rock skipping accent/decent, a nasty frozen traverse,bullet proof sun cups, and a parting shot. PERFECT!

thanks for taking me along with the pics.. very nice. wish the weather would have held out for my vacation day.

author=jtack link=topic=25757.msg108933#msg108933 date=1349969506]
what could be more fun... 

Not much!  Might have added to our day if you'd been there to share it though.  Next time, eh?

author=n16ht5 link=topic=25757.msg108941#msg108941 date=1349987243]
thanks for taking me along with the pics.. very nice. wish the weather would have held out for my vacation day.

yeah, bummer about the predicted rain.  Sorry for the short notice plan change.  ArLO and I talked about the fact that you almost were able to join us on this trip, and then we had fun trying to decode your TAY name.

Nice Mike, love the last picture. 

Hows the dyna-tele setup working for you? are those the rottafella (SP?) heel throws?

author=samthaman link=topic=25757.msg108958#msg108958 date=1350057449]
Hows the dyna-tele setup working for you? are those the rottafella (SP?) heel throws?

I love the set-up and highly recommend it.  The spring and bail parts are G3 I think, but they have a modified heel throw to fit over the heel welt on your boot instead of in the groove.  This is necessary since the groove on tech compatible boots is taken up by the tech fitting receiver. 

I bought the whole TTS binding from the Wasatch guy.  http://www.wasatchski.com/tts.htm Expensive, but worth it.  Since then, I've purchased a second conversion kit to add to a set of gifted tech toe pieces (thanks Ron).  Except for lift access, I'm switching to the TTS system.  For lifts, I'm going to use the NTN.

Awesome day! Congrats we are both at #24 in a row.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr21V035I9A&feature=plcp

thanks for lunch1

Another view: https://vimeo.com/51334742?action=share

Love the video!  Nicely done.

Supreme effort. And classic videos......nice job guys!

Reply to this TR

october-10-2012-mt-daniel-daniel-glacier
mikerolfs
2012-10-10 21:53:04