Home > Forum > Steven's is thinking of reopening.

Steven's is thinking of reopening.

• Alan Brunelle
  • [BigSnow]
More
29 Mar 2005 03:02 #171410 by Alan Brunelle
Steven's is thinking of reopening. was created by Alan Brunelle
Check the web site.<br><br>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pete_Alderson
  • [Pete_Alderson]
More
29 Mar 2005 07:09 #171411 by Pete_Alderson
Replied by Pete_Alderson on topic Re: Steven's is thinking of reopening.
yeah, saw that too... I was up there on sunday skiing the freshly fallen sludge and the coverage was suprisingly good. <br>If they got out the groomers and smashed down the 3 feet of oatmealy snow thats fallen, they might have a pretty good base.

• Alan Brunelle
  • [BigSnow]
More
29 Mar 2005 07:15 #171412 by Alan Brunelle
Replied by Alan Brunelle on topic Re: Steven's is thinking of reopening.
Considering that there will be another day or two of near 4000 ft. base consolidating snow, followed by very low snow levels for this time of year near weeks end, I would say they have little excuse for opening.<br><br>Since they opened the door with the comment on the web site, I have a hard time believeing that they won't.<br><br>Alan

• OldHouseMan
  • [OldHouseMan]
More
29 Mar 2005 11:42 #171414 by OldHouseMan
Replied by OldHouseMan on topic Re: Steven's is thinking of reopening.
I think the only reason they will try to reopen is so they can stick it to the season pass holders even more next season.

• hyak.net
  • [hyak.net]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
29 Mar 2005 12:00 #171416 by hyak.net
Replied by hyak.net on topic Re: Steven's is thinking of reopening.
They have to re-open. Can you imagine the backlash if all the other areas opened up and they stayed closed. They did a bad enough PR move with their $50 gift card if you buy in the next 30 days, but if they were to also not re-open then that would be further slap in the face. The ski areas have more snow now then at any time during the season.......

• jdclimber
  • [jdclimber]
More
29 Mar 2005 17:16 #171420 by jdclimber
Replied by jdclimber on topic Re: Steven's is thinking of reopening.
Why would anyone want to fork over their hard earned cash to a place that is only interested in seperating them from their hard earned cash? I did not get buy a season's pass from anyone this year but have lots of trouble sending any of my money towards folks who have no idea about customer service. Will be skiing all areas but Steven's for the years to come.

• Alan Brunelle
  • [BigSnow]
More
30 Mar 2005 09:30 #171428 by Alan Brunelle
I noted on the web cam that since this morning that they have turned on the heaters under the pavement. Seems like a good sign it will be opening. Strange that with the deep snow pack, the positive forecast, etc. that they have yet to announce. <br><br>Must be lots of logistics to overcome.<br><br>Alan<br><br>P.S. seems to be lot of animosity towards this ski area! Especially from people who haven't bought season passes lift tickets nor skied it for some time.<br><br>I don't know much about the history of ski areas in the PNW (I ought to get onto Lowell's site and do the reading), but I think that they are all out to make a buck. Always found the service to be fine at Stevens and the other lift areas. One thing is that the terrain there seems to exceed that of some of the others except maybe Crystal, but then I will claim ignorance on that point since I am sure it will start a flame war.

• aaron_wright
  • [aaron_wright]
More
30 Mar 2005 09:50 #171430 by aaron_wright
Replied by aaron_wright on topic Re: Steven's is thinking of reopening.
I have to agree with BigSnow about all the negativity about Steven's Pass. All these ski areas are in business for profit. I find it kind of ironic that a bunch of backcountry skiers are harping about the high price of a season pass. Buying a pass is an assumed risk and most of the time it is an incredible bargain if you ski alot. It's disappointing that so many people in this world seem to always want something for nothing. End of rant. Thread drift- I have a season's pass at Mission Ridge, today after skiing I talked to the operations guy before going home. He said they had no plans to reopen, they had thought about it, but it just wasn't worth it. I thought to my self, good! Running a bunch of groomers over this beautiful snow would be a crime.

More
31 Mar 2005 10:26 #171436 by wolfs
Replied by wolfs on topic Re: Steven's is thinking of reopening.
Confirmation of the obvious:<br> www.stevenspass.com <br>
<br>REOPENING ALPINE - Saturday & Sunday, April 2-3, Limited Operations!<br>Just when we thought spring was here to stay, we are back in winter with more snow than we have seen in some time, 32" new since Sunday with a base total of 47". We will be reopening for limited operations this weekend, Saturday & Sunday, April 2-3, 9am to 4pm, conditions permitting. <br>**Rental equipment will NOT be available** <br>Lifts scheduled to operate:<br>SkyLine, Hogsback, 7th Heaven & Tye Mill.<br>Lifts will access primarily intermediate, advanced and expert terrain. No lift accessed beginner terrain will be available! <br>There will be no terrain park features or pipe available. <br><br>Lift Prices, 9am - 4pm:<br>Adult - $30, Youth - $18, Senior - $21 <br>
<br>Per the other aspect to this thread - please cut Stevens a break. They really did try hard this year. Everyone I've ever met that works there is really, really nice. And they've also sunk a lot more into infrastructure like nice lodges, which has value to some of us (like those of us with kids, that will be spending lots of time and money in said lodges just as part of the givens of skiing with kids.) In terms of their ownership they had the bad luck to be hitched to a company that's a lot more concerned with unloading a bunch of Yuppie realestate in Belltown that they paid too much for in the dotcom bubble than they are with their skiing operations, rather than being hitched to a company that has other ski mountains they've made a killing from this year.

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
31 Mar 2005 11:24 #171437 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: Steven's is thinking of reopening.
I've got no particular axe to grind with any of the ski areas, but I do wonder about opening in the absence of 1) rental equipment, and 2) beginner terrain. Seems quite bizarre, since people are bound to show up expecting one or both.

• jdclimber
  • [jdclimber]
More
19 Apr 2005 11:12 #171589 by jdclimber
Replied by jdclimber on topic Re: Steven's is thinking of reopening.
I would expect that Business/Karma is going to bite Stevens in the years to come:<br><br>seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/outdoors/...9_nwwtrailmix14.html

• andyski
  • [andyski]
More
19 Apr 2005 11:59 #171590 by andyski
Replied by andyski on topic Re: Steven's is thinking of reopening.
"Wear long pants. And wear them somewhere other than Stevens Pass." <br><br>This is mainly aimed at this last sentence. As a very happy Summit passholder, I agree with the sentiments in the piece, but encouraging customers to head elsewhere in print (Sunday circulation: 469,853, plus Web, etc.) because a business didn't give a big enough discount is garbage, IMHO. If you're going to take on a business like that in such a forum, I'd prefer to see a little more justification.

• hyak.net
  • [hyak.net]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
19 Apr 2005 15:30 #171591 by hyak.net
Ron Judd is spot-on with his remarks........

• andyski
  • [andyski]
More
19 Apr 2005 15:58 #171592 by andyski
Replied by andyski on topic Re: Steven's is thinking of reopening.
I don't disagree with his remarks, just the forum.<br> ;)Besides, do you want EVERYONE at Snoq. Pass next season? ;)

• hyak.net
  • [hyak.net]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
19 Apr 2005 16:40 #171594 by hyak.net

I don't disagree with his remarks, just the forum.<br> ;)Besides, do you want EVERYONE at Snoq. Pass next season? ;)

<br><br>Doesn't bother me because if Snoqualmie gets busy its usually at West, Central or Alpental. Rarely does Hyak get overly busy, and if the lifts do get too busy I'll just ride down the backside and hike back up (gives me an excuse for some exercise). I'd like to see the HSQ get purchased for Hyak to replace the ol' Dino. (its next on the Summit wish list) It will take more crowds on the slopes to get the ball rolling on that project, so I say 'bring on the crowds'.

• Alan Brunelle
  • [BigSnow]
More
21 Apr 2005 07:51 #171607 by Alan Brunelle
Correct me if I am wrong, but it was my impression that prior to the spring snow induced reopening of the local areas, that Steven's Pass logged about as many weeks open this year as the Pass logged days open.<br><br>I agree that Stevens' offer is less than generous, considering that probably less than 20% of available terrain/time was offered this year, but if you wanted to ski, there at least was something. Given the parcity of terrain at the Pass, other than Alpental, which if I am correct, never opened till 3 weeks ago, it is an easy extension of reason that the Pass would make the offer they did. But Steven's at least logged some open time and that incuded some decent skiing. The complainers, who never got off their butts because they anticipated the skiing not worth making the trip will have lost a lot, but who then is to blame?<br><br>Even having said that, I think the offer from Steven's was pretty slim, to say the least.<br><br>So if everyone defects from Steven's there will be a lot more untracked to track!<br><br>Alan