Home > Trip Reports > 10/3/12 - ONP - Obstruction Pt Dusk Patrol

10/3/12 - ONP - Obstruction Pt Dusk Patrol

10/3/12
WA Olympics
Posted by Gary_H on 10/5/12 2:05pm
With the October calendar quickly filling with weekend obligations Jeff and I decided to take advantage of a great fall evening to squeeze in a few turns.

The Obstruction Point area holds some lingering north facing snow patches which in most years outlast the summer heat. This year is no exception. Less than an hour after leaving home, we were clicking into our bindings. The brisk fall air reminded us that fresh snow would soon be falling. After only a couple of quick laps, the sun was approaching the horizon, time to head back to sea level .............

As we drove back past Waterhole, we reminisced about the great overnight trips we had made to the recently removed hut over the years .............. such a disappointing loss to the backcountry skiing community.

Here are a few pictures from our evening.

1. Gary skiing
   2. Sunset over Mt. Olympus
   3. Jeff and Telemack at the Waterhole Hut - June, 2012

Gary
Fine job gettin' OcTAYber in Port Angeles-local style  8) 

Good stuff Gary -- maybe THIS year we can hook up.  I'm just going to keep saying that.

author=Gary_H link=topic=25726.msg108779#msg108779 date=1349499931]
Less than an hour after leaving home, we were clicking into our bindings.

Now that is a well selected home-site.  One hour from house to turns in October.  Outstanding!

Way to get after it!

I made a few turns out there today. The hard freezes at night and only a few hours of sunshine on that northern slope made for bullet proof suncups and chattery skiing! Almost impossible to boot up those glistening icy slopes without crampons! Those turns were earned!

I think it is strange that we have a snowtell site at waterhole but not longer a hut? Do you understand the Parks rational for that move? I always thought that cabin, stove, first aid cache, food  etc.  provided an extra measure of safety out there.

Awesome!  I had been up there last weekend backpacking with my daughters out to Grand Pass and wondered if anyone would get their turns on those snow patches.  I'm hoping to get in Oct turns this year for the first time in 10 years.  I may have to head out there yet again.  Thanks for the report, beta, and inspiration.  I'm loving the brisk autumn air too.

Also... perhaps I'll be able to ski with you legends one day too  :)

author=Marcus link=topic=25726.msg108788#msg108788 date=1349535363]
Good stuff Gary -- maybe THIS year we can hook up.  I'm just going to keep saying that.

Thanks Marcus, yes we definitely need to get together this winter.

author=mikerolfs link=topic=25726.msg108790#msg108790 date=1349538683]
Now that is a well selected home-site.  One hour from house to turns in October.  Outstanding!

When the road the Ridge is open, access is to the snow quick and easy. The key word is "WHEN"   ::)

author=runcle link=topic=25726.msg108791#msg108791 date=1349540197]
Way to get after it!

I made a few turns out there today. The hard freezes at night and only a few hours of sunshine on that northern slope made for bullet proof suncups and chattery skiing! Almost impossible to boot up those glistening icy slopes without crampons! Those turns were earned!

I'm impressed......... we looked at the slope you skied and opted for one facing a little more to the west. The sun had softened it enough to get an edge in, but it was still a firm ride.  ;)

I think it is strange that we have a snowtell site at waterhole but not longer a hut? Do you understand the Parks rational for that move? I always thought that cabin, stove, first aid cache, food  etc.  provided an extra measure of safety out there.

So did we, but apparently the Park did not. See Stormking's post in "Random Tracks" for answers to several questions which were posed to Park management.

author=danpeck link=topic=25726.msg108811#msg108811 date=1349581195]
Awesome!  I had been up there last weekend backpacking with my daughters out to Grand Pass and wondered if anyone would get their turns on those snow patches.  I'm hoping to get in Oct turns this year for the first time in 10 years.  I may have to head out there yet again.  Thanks for the report, beta, and inspiration.  I'm loving the brisk autumn air too.

Also... perhaps I'll be able to ski with you legends one day too  :)

Good luck with Oct turns Dan, hopefully we will meet up this winter. 

Gary, Is this the snow patch just up from PJ lake and off of Eagle Point?

I'm scheming.

Reply to this TR

10-3-12-onp-obstruction-pt-dusk-patrol
Gary_H
2012-10-05 21:05:31