Home > Trip Reports > March 23-27, Rogers Pass BC

March 23-27, Rogers Pass BC

3/15/05
Canada BC
Posted by Matt C on 3/28/05 3:20am
This was to be my first backcountry trip based out of a hut. The Wheeler Hut was an awesome first experience...easy access, friendly visitors and lots of "amenities". I had never met the people I had booked the hut with...they were all very cool...Andrea, Ted, Patrice, and Kari (and the Spanish Pillar).

The first couple of days provided sunny skies and powdered slopes. The slopes around the Asulkan cabin were sweet...a great variety...steep faces, mellow rolls, moraines, gullies, trees...everything possible. Clouds rolled in and temps increased but this didn't stop our fun for the last day. We skied the practice slopes under the Illecillewaet Glacier. Patrice and I had not had our fill so we headed up for more on Avalanche Crest.

I am heading back to Rogers Pass next year for sure...HUTS ARE AWESOME...we need more in the PNW.
More huts would definitely be appreciated.  Perhaps a trans-cascade ski route too (Wapta style)?  

Not likely though - I don't think the forest service would be too supportive.

huts are great but at Roger's Pass you gotta stay at the Best Western! It's almost the same price (if you have more than two people) and you get a hot tub. Best of all, you can just walk out the back door and skin up towards Balu Pass.

Reply to this TR

march-23-27-rogers-pass-bc
Matt C
2005-03-28 11:20:53