Home > Trip Reports > 09.25.12 -- 5!

09.25.12 -- 5!

9/15/12
Posted by kam on 9/25/12 5:41pm
It just occurred to me a few days ago that this September marks 120-months of turns for me -- ten years worth of skiing at least once a month.  What a weird ritual it has become.

Last night (and also during my lunch break this afternoon) I scoured the Internet looking for any hints of snow to ski within a 200-mile radius of Reno...basically looking at every possible site with webcam data.  Nothing.

Then it hit me, but I wasn't 100% sure if there would be any snow left.

I called Ben, a close friend in town, with the idea.  I roped Ben into TAY three years ago and this month marks 36 months of skiing for him.  He was in.

We left Reno after work at 4:45 pm, then drove south toward Carson Pass.  By 6 pm we were driving over the pass, seeing basically nothing, and Ben was becoming skeptical.  I ignored him and continued to a small campground about 0.5 mile on the west side of the pass.  By 6:30 pm we shouldered our skis and headed toward Round Top and the Sisters:

We were losing light fast, but whatever.  By 7:30 pm we had climbed about 1500 vf. over about 3 miles and before us was a place for September turns:

Ben was still skeptical.  But pushing onward, we eventually found two nice patches on a steep north slope, in between Round Top and the Sisters.  We decided to save one for October just in case we needed it.  At that moment I couldn't think of anything more enjoyable than sinking my edges into a near 45-degree patch of bullet proof late September mixture of ice/rock/dirt, in the dark.

The batteries in Ben's headlamp went out, so he only enjoyed one good run.  I came prepared and racked up three good runs.  120 months felt like a dream.  Oh so memorable.

We made it back to Reno by 11:30 pm.
Love it!  That's strong work Kam, as usual for this time of year down there...

wow.  10 years.  Way to go!

You da man, Kamster.

- you could also tag somethin' by June Lk (Mt Wood).  except it's about 5,000 vert, to reach.  viewable from 395

Fantastic! I will keep whining to a minimum the next time I have to scramble for turns, we sure have plenty of easy options (here in the PNW) compared to your mission, great inspiration, thanks.

Reply to this TR

09-25-12-5
kam
2012-09-26 00:41:13