Home > Trip Reports > Sept 24, 2012, - Mt Hood

Sept 24, 2012, - Mt Hood

9/24/12
OR Mt Hood
Posted by chieftaffy on 9/24/12 12:45pm
Hood is still good.  Was looking for easiest snow to access since it has been about 4 months off ski gear for me.  There is a short walk to get where they park the snow cats and the skinning can begin.  Turns above 7k were nice, below that fairly grabby (late in the day).  Weather report has snow above 8k tonight and tomm morning.  Will snap some pics if that happens. In pic below you can see the terminus of snow, and to reach that it is a 10 minute walk up from lodge.  I started skinning above the equipment.

Thanks for the report!  Might get up there Thur or Fri.  BTW--any problems from cat  operations etc. with  you skinning up Palmer snowfield?

Once again thanks!

Hey Mike.  Glad you got out.

TLine snow phone has a BS "hiking, skiing or riding within the permit area prohibited" statement. 

Under their special use permit, they cannot stop people from accessing the south-side climbers trail, which parallels the Mile / Palmer liftlines on the east side of the snowfield.  If they're not open for public operations, they can't keep us out.  Mt Hood Meadows tries the same thing every spring. 

I last was there on August 28th.  I did not have a problem with mountain operations.  - http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=25573.0

A fellow TAYer did have an issue.
http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=25545.msg108006#msg108006

Stay out of their way, off their fresh groom, and be nice.  Looking at Mikes pics, there still appears to be a finger of snow in ZigZag canyon coming off Illumination saddle - upper left in pics.  It's outside the ski area boundary. 

Maybe I'll see you midday on Thursday.  I need September.

Today I skinned up to top of Palmer to check out the finger of snow on the right...it does link up to area above fine.  Plan on going up to about 9k tomm.  Talked to a couple dudes working there when they were parking snow equipment and everyone was super nice.  Saw an awesome rock slide off the right hand face from middle of the Palmer - think I got some good pics and a short viddy I might post later.  What an awesome day up there on some snow.

Pics from today with rockfall -

I was feeling bad about posting a BC trip report about poaching closed resort turns, but yesterday hiked up to about 9k near the bergshrund? of White river glacier.  Pretty darn suncuppy up there but was neat to see some glacier action up close.  Here is short viddy of first decent turns just above Palmer.....above that wasn't very worthy of a camera running.  Already planning Oct turns there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGCGSlPXtHs

author=Hawthorne link=topic=25672.msg108523#msg108523 date=1348617536]TLine snow phone has a BS "hiking, skiing or riding within the permit area prohibited" statement. 

Under their special use permit, they cannot stop people from accessing the south-side climbers trail, which parallels the Mile / Palmer liftlines on the east side of the snowfield.  If they're not open for public operations, they can't keep us out.  Mt Hood Meadows tries the same thing every spring.

As much as I hesitate to write anything positive about MHM . . .  all they do is just put up a very sensible warning about post-operational dangers. 
Otherwise, I've never seen encountered any restrictions or other problems there with skinning up the main part of the ski area post-season to access Heather, Superbowl, and/or the Wy'East Face.

Meadows will just tow your car...

Sorry, impulse...Seriously, I wasn't trying to hijack into a resort restrictions thread...but be smart, be nice, and know the area's use permit restrictions before you go. 

White River Glacier is cool, nice pic.  Did you hear running water / outbursts? 

Buddy and I saw a foot climber almost glissade into those cracks one time.  He hit a ridge on the lip of the first and launched over it .  He landed on his back and came to a stop further down between a couple of big cracks.  People had been yelling and waving their arms.  He didn't realize his situation til he came to a stop. 

Pretty funny at the time, but could have been ugly. 

author=Hawthorne link=topic=25672.msg108569#msg108569 date=1348848858]
Meadows will just tow your car...

Well, yes, be sure to park outside the gate.
The walk across the parking lot is a brutal approach...

Reply to this TR

sept-24-2012-mt-hood
chieftaffy
2012-09-24 19:45:01