Home > Trip Reports > February 26, 2005, Where were all the skiers?

February 26, 2005, Where were all the skiers?

2/26/05
Posted by moeglisse on 3/27/05 9:51am
Woke up a bit groggy after doing five grand of fine week old fluff above Rainy Lake on Friday.  It was snowing in Mazama Saurday morning...Heavily.   As we drove up the pass it became apparent that it wasn't going to stay open all day so we pulled into the Cutthroat Lake pull out.  There was already 12++ inches in the pullout.  Luckily there was a lone wolf out ahead of us breaking trail.  Sometimes a gentleman's start to the day pays.  We caught the wolf just before the lake when he was turning around without acheiving any turns.  The snow was comming down relentlessly all day but we kept on climbing slowly towards cutthroat pass.  We started to hear avalanches going off all around the valley in the afternoon.  Real rippers by the sound.  By 3-PM we were still a grand below the pass and trudging through 2++ ft of fresh snow.  Time to go back so we began descenging through the trees back into the valley floor.  I had my first snorkeling session of the year.  What difference a day makes.  The south slopes we were on were probably bare the day before judging by some of the scapings my submerged skis encountered.  Nick let off a nice sluff in the trees and got sucked into it but survived unscathed.   We encountered our skin track at the valley floor almost filled in.  I hooked my dog Maggee up for a little ski-joring sessions for the way out and she litterally pulled our sorry asses out the trail to our awaiting cars which had accumlated another 12++ inches while we were gone.  The pass was closed just as I had thought, plowed shut right at the Cutthroat Lake pullout.  Down below a WSDOT maintenace crew woman was waiting for us at the gate so she could lock it and close the pass behind us.  I have to hand it to the DOT, they plowed up to the Cutthroat pullout and waited past 6PM for us to come out.    
I'm glad to know that someone else was enjoying the same snow we were over at Lake Ann, but I too was wondering where all the skiers were. We had the same WDOT experience on the west side, with the road plowed shut just east of the Blue Lake trail head. The guy who let us out by the Ross Dam trail said he thought he'd be there all night. Impressive.

- Phil

We started to hear avalanches going off all around the valley in the afternoon.  Real rippers by the sound.  Nick let off a nice sluff in the trees and got sucked into it but survived unscathed.  

Do you think all the other skiers were at safer places to ski? Late start on a day where warming and high precip was working it's way in.  ??? If I already had 5 grand of vert for the week and I'm hearing avalanches ripping down in the valley I think I would have headed out sooner.
Where are all the skiers??
That's just like asking, "Where are all the Elk on the first day of hunting season?"
Glad you made it out safe to ski another day!
Just my opinion-
Joe

Physically I was snaking new wirring through my over-priced turn of the century fixer/dump in Ballard - never let those realitors blind you with the term "good bones".  Mentally I was snaking through the new snow that was falling, just praying that I could get out early enough on Sunday to beat the melt.  Well, a 4:15 am start from the city and skinning through the area at Steven's by 6:00 am didn't do it.   The white room had turned into the mank room, and I mean MANK!  Coined a new term, "Cascade Tail Skiing".  Sit back, pole a bit, plane off, then start to wiggle (last step not neccessary).  BTW, big wet-slide up in 7th Heaven Bowl just above Rock Garden.

Reply to this TR

february-26-2005-where-were-all-the-skiers
moeglisse
2005-03-27 17:51:28