Home > Trip Reports > September 8, 2012-My first TR! Hood's Good

September 8, 2012-My first TR! Hood's Good

9/15/12
OR Mt Hood
Posted by ShailCaesar! on 9/10/12 12:50pm
Yep, it's true, you can skin from right behind the Lodge! Easy access to 2200 ft or so of continuous corn! Thanks to Stoudema, Tomski and Silas for inspiration. Start at the Mile canyon just to the right of the Pacific Crest Trail intersection (Trail 2000 on the green trails map) and skin directly up to the top of the Palmer chairlift. If you want, it's then an easy 100 yards or less scramble due west to access Zig Zag Glacier and Illumination Saddle. Snow on upper Palmer: Excellent! Snow was even clean up there. Encountered fellow TAY lurker Jeremy and a friend partway down and they said the Zig Zag was a "bowling alley", judging by Stoudema's pics you can see what he meant, but the snow quality is probably ok over there too. Way easier than the 8 hours I spent on August 25 at Baker for 600 ft of turnsLOL. There it is, my first TR about my "last" day of summer skiing. Only need to ski a day in October and I'm officially 12 months! About that, does XC skiing around Halloween count as "turns"? Pics and Vids here:
Managed to finally attach something w/jpg from Flickr, but it doesn't create a link to see other pics?! I'll email you the link to the set Marcus.

Here's a link to the rest of the set.

And another pic -- good condition for September!

Thanks Marcus! Any chance you can email me how you did that? I'd like to be prepared for next year (month).

- not quite b/c; as the snowfield is machine tilled with 'salt' to keep it from ablation

Yeah I meant to do ZigZag but became ill and barely made it to the top of the Palmer, I made it though and had a great ski. I posted this for the exercise mostly.

Way to go ShailCaesar. The big semis in the parking lot are full of salt that the groomers spread out over the "Miracle Mile". Thats why its usually so slushy. It can get very icy just outside of the ski area boundaries and there are many small hidden holes in the snow north and east of Timberline, especially this time of year. Nice work though on the full year, thats real cool.

Not quite a full year, just have to rustle up October turns somewhere, shouldn't  be too too difficult. Thanks for thinking about me!  ;D

Reply to this TR

september-8-2012-my-first-tr-hood-s-good
ShailCaesar!
2012-09-10 19:50:44