telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/21/17, 07:46 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2012 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  September 2012 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  September 9, 2012, Heliotrope Ridge/Coleman Gl.
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: September 9, 2012, Heliotrope Ridge/Coleman Gl.  (Read 2192 times)
ejk
5Member

September 9, 2012, Heliotrope Ridge/Coleman Gl.
« on: 09/10/12, 12:04 PM »

We were planning to check out the Sholes Glacier/Coleman Pinnacle/Portals area after reading last weekend's trip report from that area, but due to the 7:30am - noon closure of Hwy 542 (Mt. Baker Hillclimb cycling race) we changed our plans to head up Heliotrope Ridge and see what we could find.

We started out in the clouds at the trailhead (3700'ish) but they rose as we climbed and we had great views as we headed up the climbers path.  Had lunch near the campsites at the toe of the glacier, then headed up climbers right of the main bootpack.  The beaten path up onto Heliotrope Ridge zigs and zags around a couple of fairly large cracks, and given that the skinning was a bit slippery, we followed some downtracks up to the right.  There are still cracks and some open gapers to avoid, so keep an eye out as you're skinning up / skiing down.

After climbing about 1000' up to the ridge (around 7200'), we clicked in and got some pretty good September turns!  Soft snow on top, firm underneath, mild suncups turning into moderate suncups lower down on the glacier toe.  I'm not a religious "I ski every month" kind of guy, but it's good times getting to scratch the ski itch in September, and conditions were way better than we expected.

Whoever said "You're already going... you may as well bring your skis" on this forum - thanks for the advice.  After we hit the road closure and had to pick a new option, I had to use your line to help convince at least one friend to bring her skis  Wink
ron j

Re: September 9, 2012, Heliotrope Ridge/Coleman Gl.
« Reply #1 on: 09/10/12, 12:40 PM »

Whoever said "You're already going... you may as well bring your skis" on this forum - thanks for the advice.  After we hit the road closure and had to pick a new option, I had to use your line to help convince at least one friend to bring her skis  Wink

Not sure who was the first to make the coment in a post...
But surely Mike Rolfs can claim to making it official with a bumper sticker Smiley

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
wolfs

« Reply #2 on: 09/10/12, 07:54 PM »

Well, hell. I thought for sure the weather would be all socked in on Baker on the 9th so I went back to bed and did something closer to home (where the weather WAS pretty bad). Wrong call. Get any pix?
ejk
5Member

« Reply #3 on: 09/10/12, 08:21 PM »

To be fair, the weather wasn't exactly great.  It was cloudy at the start, but that improved to partly cloudy when we were going up the climber's trail (with some beautiful views of the mountain, some direct sunlight even!).  After lunch, we had foggy, misty, slightly rainy, and finally just overcast, but we kept chasing the cloud layer up slightly higher and higher until we reached the ridge.

I can post some pictures a bit later.  It was no "48 days of sun" weather, but it was nothing terrible.  Whether it was worth driving 120 miles one-way is a question that will get different replies, based on your perspective and the amount of time since your last ski hit Smiley
ejk
5Member

« Reply #4 on: 09/10/12, 11:14 PM »

Pictures!

h

For more, see the album on SkyDrive (still uploading at this moment, but should be up shortly.)
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.