Home > Trip Reports > March 26, 2005, Waterhouse Peak,S. Lk. Tahoe

March 26, 2005, Waterhouse Peak,S. Lk. Tahoe

3/26/05
US elsewhere
Posted by Zap on 3/27/05 5:28am
After spending the 25th cruising the lift served terrain at Northstar, it was apparent the weekend crowds would be enormous.  Decided to tour up a northeast facing  peak which would still have  untracked powder from the recent storm.  Waterhouse Peak is near Luther Pass and the skinning starts at 7720' and the summit tops out about 9500".  The slope angle averages 30 degrees and the old growth trees protect the powder.  I met 3 other skiers in the pullout and they were on a Sierrra club weekend ski outing.  They invited me to join their group assuming I looked like a trail breaker.  It was a perfect Sierra day with sun and powder.  Waterhouse provides excellent views of Lake Tahoe to the north and Mt. Tallac, Kirkwood, Stevens to the west and Pickett to the south. The northeast descent was light powder for the first 1000' then heavy powder to Grass Lake.  The group invited me to spend the rest of the outing with them.  We drove down to Grover Hot Springs and soaked for an hour, then setup camp at a deserted site above Markleeville.  It was a great touring day in the Sierras.  Zap
That sounds like a fun day.  Nothing beats a soak at Grover's after a long day of skiing!
My wife and I were at Northstar on Friday too.  She joined the hoards on the lift slopes while I laid back about 40 km on their nordic trail system.  I saw only 8 other skiers all day.  It was like having my own private ski area.  Now I'm back at the grindstone in Seattle...

Reply to this TR

march-26-2005-waterhouse-peak-s-lk-tahoe
Zap
2005-03-27 13:28:53