Home > Trip Reports > March 27, 2005, Paradise

March 27, 2005, Paradise

3/27/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by zenom on 3/27/05 5:06am
The good news is that there was about 4-ft of new snow, my 130 cm poles could easily probe down in many locations.  The coverage around Golden Gate and Mazama Ridge looked as good or better than it has at it's best this season.

The new snow was extremely heavy and difficult to move through. I'd have to say it was the most difficult snow I've ever tried to ski. Think deep wet concrete.

The gate didn't open until 11:00 am. Is there a phone number to call to find out gate opening times?
The gate didn't open until 11:00 am. Is there a phone number to call to find out gate opening times?

Call the main MRNP number: 360-569-2211
Press 1, 1, 2 for road conditions.

The 7am report today says the gate would open at 11am.

Zenom is right: think concrete! but the conditions were perfect for making one of these:

there's plenty of new snow, for example, here's what it looks like at the Paradise parking lot this morning.  Allyson, tdave and i tried to ski the Mazama Ridge area, but found the conditions too difficult -- trail breaking was a chore.  we also noticed several large natural releases on steeper slopes south of Golden Gate.  the slides ran pretty far.  after digging around, we noted that the sliding layer was roughly 8" deep.  the top 8" felt denser than the snow below, so the failure is probably at the interface.  but i'm guessing the large slides we saw could have possibly stepped down.  anyway, the snow compressed significantly with every step, and of course, because of the moisture, it balled-up easily too!  well, the good news is there's at least 4-feet of new snow!

i think the analogy of "wading through pound cake" was a good one for the conditions we had today at mazama...still the snow coming down will hopefully extend our spring skiing by a few more weeks.  (so eventually we'll be able to take advantage of it, right???)  the day was fun anyway, perhaps next time we'll actually be able to make some turns! :D

I thought my work stinx would be the fattest ski I'd ever want, until I saw those things Zenom was using yesterday. That was some crazy snow. We'll get a spring for sure now though.

Reply to this TR

march-27-2005-paradise
zenom
2005-03-27 13:06:51