Home > Trip Reports > 08.26.12 -- Straight August Dope

08.26.12 -- Straight August Dope

8/15/12
Posted by kam on 8/26/12 2:22pm
After putting our kids to bed, Ben and I left Reno on Saturday night at 7:30 pm and headed north.  We slept in the back of my pickup truck in a parking lot of a national park visitor center later that night.  The next morning we drove to the trailhead and had a fine five-star breakfast -- I ate a delicious bag of pork-intestine flavored ramen with fresh mushrooms and zucchini.  I washed that down with a four-shot esspresso I brewed on my pocketrocket.  Ben ate something.  We were the only souls in the parking lot.  That was weird because it's usally a busy location.  Maybe the recent fires in the area was keeping visitors away.  Good.

By 9 am we shouldered our skis up the dry trail.  Looking back the parking lot was still completely empty.  Whatever.

About 1.3 miles up the trail, we ran into this annoying sign keeping us from our straight August dope -- so close yet so far!:

Anyway, being the law abiding citizens we were, we found an alternative and still managed to get in our August turns.  The snow was pretty nice; a little dirty but nice!

We made two runs each and enjoyed the beautiful day.  The parking lot was still empty when we made it back to the pickup. 
They charge extra for the pork-intestine flavor in Asia. Way to keep the dream alive, Kam.

author=kam link=topic=25561.msg107996#msg107996 date=1346044971]
About 1.3 miles up the trail, we ran into this annoying sign keeping us from our straight August dope -- so close yet so far!:

I guess they're trying to keep the skiers from trampling all the beautiful vegetation between the trail and the snow...

author=kam link=topic=25561.msg107996#msg107996 date=1346044971">
Anyway, being the law abiding citizens we were, we found an alternative and still managed to get in our August turns.

author=JPH link=topic=25561.msg108002#msg108002 date=1346080937">
I guess they're trying to keep the skiers from trampling all the beautiful vegetation between the trail and the snow...

Kam, I'm glad you got your August turns in -- but they were not legal (not that I care, and I doubt the NPS really does either). The needlessly-large closure area for trail-reconstruction work covers everything shown on the map on this page, which includes the patch you skied. There are probably still a few tiny snow patches in that national park outside the closure area, including below the north sides of Brokeoff Mtn, Mt Diller, and Reading Peak, none easily accessible.

Hey Kam  u might have saved yourself a little driving and a lot of aggravation with the Lassen trail closure by driving over to Roundtop at carson pass. Skied it last month and took a look yesterday and it still holds a few skiable patches. As 4 myself 21  month streak at tahoe exclusively will end this month because I elected fishing over the 5 hour round trip to the east face of Roundtop

author=Amar Andalkar link=topic=25561.msg108004#msg108004 date=1346083747]
....There are probably still a few tiny snow patches in that national park outside the closure area, including below the north sides of Brokeoff Mtn, Mt Diller, and Reading Peak, none easily accessible.

We found a patch outside of the closure area that was a quick walking distance from the car ... spotted it from up high. :)

Reply to this TR

08-26-12-straight-august-dope
kam
2012-08-26 21:22:51