Home > Trip Reports > March, 26, 2005, Crystal Mtn.

March, 26, 2005, Crystal Mtn.

3/15/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by RG on 3/26/05 5:03am
Went for a short trip to Crystal mtn. today.  Conditions were rain/snow mix at the base.  Wet sloppy snow above, with lots of wind everywhere. This was one of those days when you wish your hood would close just a little tighter around your face.  

I went only as high as the base of Lucky Shot. Thanks to younger legs of the two guys ahead of me the trip up through the very cement like "powder" wasn't bad.  With the wind and up to 10 inches of new wet snow on top of wetter slush, staying away from the steeps seemed prudent.

The trip down was fun though except any place there was a flat required some skating and/or poling.  By the time I got to the bottom most of the snow there had melted. This was the first chance I got to try out my new skis which worked well in these conditions.
Thanks to younger legs of the two guys ahead of me the trip up through the very cement like "powder" wasn't bad.

Your welcome RG.  You must have been the 4th truck we saw parked.  Yup Rick and I braved it to the summit.  We got our reward.

Rick and I braved it to the summit.

Eric, what time did you reach the summit house of REX?

Eric, what time did you reach the summit house of REX?

Hey Joe a few minutes after 11.

Reply to this TR

march-26-2005-crystal-mtn
RG
2005-03-26 13:03:33