Home > Trip Reports > August 11-12, 2012, North Selkirks, Tumbledown Mtn

August 11-12, 2012, North Selkirks, Tumbledown Mtn

8/11/12
Posted by Skier of the Hood on 8/13/12 3:01pm
A weekend opened up with a willing partner so I took to flying around on google earth. Found a recent clear cut 43km up the Downie Creek Drainage. A quick call to the forest service and we were off. The road crossed more then half a dozen washouts of immense size so I imagine this area will not remain accessible once the active logging on the upper cut blocks ceases. Starting from around 1530m we utilized benches as best we could and traversed over to Brigland Pass (as named on the topo map) falling several times in the steep meadows  :'(

The skiing was pretty prime and many suncups were slayed. The steeper NE facing slopes are still skiing very nicely.

Get after it while you can, people pay thousands to climb/ski these peaks and you can do it for 80$ from Kelowna  8) If anyone is actually going to get after it let me know and I can provide a more detailed route description. This same cutblock also allows access to the Carnes group.
Thanks for the TR from up north.  Were you using some kind of short skis?  I didn't see any stix on the pack in your photos.  Cheers

We left our skis at the pass and walked up the first day to check things out. Which turned out to be somewhat of a mistake as we missed them on the way down ):

Did you stop in and say hi to Ruedi? Sorry to poach your tenure? LOL.

Yea it was pretty funny to see the little red buildings off in the distance. All the good corn goes to waste in the summer around that lodge anyway, someone needs to make the harvest  8)

That looks great!  Thanks for the fun report. 

Reply to this TR

august-11-12-2012-north-selkirks-tumbledown-mtn
Skier of the Hood
2012-08-13 22:01:55