Home > Trip Reports > August 12, 2012, Paradise Glacier

August 12, 2012, Paradise Glacier

8/12/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by telemack on 8/12/12 2:47pm
    Gary H. did a lot of driving today, from Port Angeles to meet me in Silverdale and then to 4th Stream.  Super nice weather, not too sweaty and very clear until the haze rose off the snowfields.
    Continuous skinning is done for the season, but we skied from the Sluiskin bench to 7870' with just a short boot by the little waterfall and about a 150-yard carry below the rightmost exposed glacial ice.  Spying a large group massing at the start of the snow, we feared being overtaken by Silas's "Wolf Pack"  ;)  so we kept a steady pace. 
    We turned back at 7870', surprised by the long blocking crevasse despite old tracks.  Caution is needed if you access the upper Pradise from Muir Snowfield. Got 500' of great
none-cupped snow down to the flats where the expected crowd of TAYers turned out to be an RMI group of eleven.  Did an extra lap from the crevasse (which can be passed to the R on a narrow bridge, or gotten around by angling left).  We saw some impressive tracks going around-and over-crevasses near the center of the Cowlitz.  Turns below 7200' were so-so due to bigger cups and chunky patches, but the low-angled ski/skate out was not grabby at all.  Someone toured up the lower Paradise and left some tracks, but that was the only sign we saw of any other skiers.     
    Thanks for going, Gary, and helping me get those August turns.  8)

P.S. There is a line of snow extending down from the Pinnacle Glacier remnant in the Tatoosh that could give good value for this time of year.
Thanks for the invite Mack, it was a fun day, well worth the long drive.  :D

It was ironic to have the Paradise virtually to ourselves while watching the steady stream of humanity going up and down the Muir Snowfield...............

Here are a few pictures to add to your report.

1. Mack assuring me we are headed the right way in the face of clear evidence to the contrary..............

2. Mack climbing the Paradise with the Cowlitz Glacier Icefall in the background.
    Note there is a recent pair of ski tracks down the steep ramp in the center of the Icefall above Mack's head.

3. A rare shot of me skiing................... thanks Mack.   :)

Gary

Looking good fellas, I'm glad that you got out.

That slope next to the icefalls looks to be in pretty good shape right now.  I imagine that a few weeks ago one could have skied it down to the terminus.

I can't believe I'm asking/considering - but did you notice if the snowfields between Cowlitz Pass and Cowlitz Gl. toe were skiable?

Reply to this TR

august-12-2012-paradise-glacier
telemack
2012-08-12 21:47:10