Home > Trip Reports > August 10, 2012, Easton glacier

August 10, 2012, Easton glacier

8/10/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by silaswild on 8/10/12 10:42am
We used trail tennies (much better choice than boots last month on the Squak trip) to the railroad grade camps before finding snow and donning boots to begin skinning. There are several crevasses, easily avoided or crossed for now, and many guided climbers presently. The skiing was smooth and fun with a light breeze to keep us cool. Thanks Matt for the encouraging report and Brian for your patience and senior sitting.

https://vimeo.com/47369494
First off I'd like to add this is my first trip with a Turns member. This was amazing to get to go with Silas. Not only an amazing guy, but a great teacher and someone who's funny as hell.

My thoughts of the trip. We got a bit later start than I'm used to, but hey, I'm going with the legend Silas so I'm not going to complain. We left the Ash Way park-n-ride around 6:45 and had to hit a quick stop on the way up to Baker. Once we stopped there we made it to Baker parking lot after a bit of driving.

Once we got there, Silas got to hook up and talk to some friends from AAI and we left the trail head 3 minutes after 9. Me being the young 31 year old, I was possibly afraid I would be outdoing Silas on the trail, but as we started, I was struggling to keep up with him on the flat dirt trail. At the 1 mile marker, I felt the mountain rumble and a small earthquake hit. I knew it was then, things were over, I felt it all going down hill. So, what does anyone do during that time? They drop their drawers and let it go. Yay, bluebagged at 20 minutes into a 8+ hour trip.

I caught up with Silas at the first fork in the road and we headed left onto a ridge line that overlooked a river bed with baker infront. We took this up for a bit longer and around 3.2 miles in, we took our first break and hydrated and got some food in our systems. From here, it was a 10 minute walk to hit snow and we donned our ski's and skins. The skinning started off smooth and I only had real trouble at the beginning on a steeper aspect just from inexperience.

From here we followed the rock line as there were some cracks opening up pretty close to the side of the glacier. We followed the existing tracks up and around 7k we got off trail onto a older trail which had a pretty hairy crevasse crossing. We made it up past that, and noticed the last of the rope teams were heading down close to us around 8500ft or so. Since we didn't have any rescue gear, we decided to not be the last people on the mountain up high so we turned around.

The ski down was amazing. Silas gave me some pointers, took some videos and ended up almost convicing some guides that I would 'garage sale' down one of the spots, but needless to say I made it down to their dissatisfaction.

After that I followed Silas' tracks for the most part all the way to the edge of the glacier. When someone who's smarter, and wiser tells you to follow their tracks, they don't mean 10 feet off, they mean stay on them. I was 10 feet left of his tracks low and noticed a small crack opening where Silas went, my tracks lead to a 2ft hole which I had to learn how to jump on skis very fast. Made it over with a heart wrenching oddness in my stomach but ended up down on the bottom without any issues.

We hiked out down the river bed and hit some pretty amazing wildflowers and talked to some cuties on the way out.

All-in-all, I give this ski a 5/5 stars. Amazing to ski with a great person who's just as goofy as me

author=saxybrian link=topic=25507.msg107800#msg107800 date=1344782986]
First off I'd like to add this is my first trip with a Turns member. This was amazing to get to go with Silas. Not only an amazing guy, but a great teacher and someone who's funny as hell.

Hi Brian - you've got to be a little more sparse with your praise - Silas is going to need a bigger hat.  Good first TAY affiliated trip.  It also shows you're in pretty good shape... on my first two trips with Silas, I drove us both up to the mountains, but was so slow that he got tired of waiting for me at the bottom, so he hitchhiked back to town ;>)

author=saxybrian link=topic=25507.msg107800#msg107800 date=1344782986]
The ski down was amazing. Silas gave me some pointers, took some videos and ended up almost convicing some guides that I would 'garage sale' down one of the spots, but needless to say I made it down to their dissatisfaction.

Just to set the record straight, while I was setting up near the AAI group to shoot Brian's descent, I told them he was pretty good for only 17 days on skis.  They then said "looks like we will get to see a yard sale" but Brian was smooth and cool.  At the bottom he asked "what's a yard sale?"

Once again, TAY delivers the goods, a new, fun ski buddy.  Wait until shred and the Birds of Paradise get ahold of him!  I told Brian that a pair of TLT5P's will make him a great skier, along with the help of the team.

TLT5P's out of stock until winter skiing from Marmot Mtn Works :( I was going to get me a set too! :(

Oh well, off to Adams this next weekend to climb it for my first time and get to experience a summit with my gf, will be her first real mountain climb too!

author=saxybrian link=topic=25507.msg107817#msg107817 date=1344866804]
TLT5P's out of stock until winter skiing from Marmot Mtn Works :( I was going to get me a set too! :(

Oh well, off to Adams this next weekend to climb it for my first time and get to experience a summit with my gf, will be her first real mountain climb too!

Buy them here.

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/dynafittlt5performance1213-p-48709.html

It only takes about 3 days to get them and don't be put off because it's in Europe. Lots of TAYers buy stuff from this company and it's extremely reputable and you can return stuff.
I bought a pair  pf TLTP's from them but sent them back because I decided I wanted the new Vulcan boots  instead.

author=Scotsman link=topic=25507.msg107818#msg107818 date=1344888016]
I wanted the new Vulcan boots  instead.

I'd try on the Vulcan before committing, Chris, they are fuh-rick-kin stiff.

author=gregL link=topic=25507.msg107836#msg107836 date=1344963453]
I'd try on the Vulcan before committing, Chris, they are fuh-rick-kin stiff.

That's what I heard......... going to compare them to the ONE as well as that's a boot I'm contemplating. Been following Lee's review's.

You might want to check out the Mercury - I've had both the One PX and the One U on, and they both feel a bit soft (instep caves in under hard pressure).

Reply to this TR

august-10-2012-easton-glacier
silaswild
2012-08-10 17:42:39