Home > Forum > March 24, 2005, Baker REOPENS

March 24, 2005, Baker REOPENS

• snoslut
  • [boarddude]
More
25 Mar 2005 23:48 - 26 Mar 2005 00:42 #211870 by snoslut
March 24, 2005, Baker REOPENS was created by snoslut
Records are being set everywhere this year.  Who would of ever thought that Baker would be reopening in late March. ???  Despite the low coverage Jimjar, Hattrup, and myself decided that 30" was too good to pass up.  Pulled into Heather by 9am.  Low clouds in and out with the occassionally sun beam breaking thru and hitting that one lucky or should I say unlucky spot of snow.  Winds were mild and temps in the 30s.  Took our first line off Pan Dome by 9:20.  The inbounds had about 6" over the recent consolidating dump.  Only found fresh in stashes scattered about here and there.  If it wasn't in the trees, protected, or northern aspect it was crust from the sun earlier in the week.  So we made our way to top of 8.  All while admiring the lines and boot track already in place.  Only about a half dozen lines off the arm with endless room for more.  As we started the hump we watched a film crew (tv station?) doing some shooting.  Mike was able to pick out Matt Cummings from the line up.  Watching people huck and take sick lines provided all the motivation needed.  I thought to myself in 20-30 minutes we'll be riding that.<br><br>Our first line proved to be epic!  Even though the lighting was a little flat the visibility held and the clouds kept away.  One by one we spotted and dropped into a north facing chute.  The pay off was in the form of steep knee deep fluff for 1500ft.  The last couple hundred or so feet in the gully out was sketch in some sections.  From picking our way thru boulders/rocks, trees/saplings to jibbing creeks and dogding large chunks of snow collapsing into the creek.  It kept everyone on their toes.  The good news was the ample amount snow to stay damage free.  The key was not going too fast but maintaining enough speed to be in control and carry you around the obstacles.  Back at the lift nobody needed to say anything.  Just like a junky after a fix the grins on our faces said it all. ;D<br><br>The 2nd and 3rd lines off the arm were just as good as the first.  The slope was finally starting to show its use.  However, finding untracked was not a problem.  For 2nds Mike straight lined a pinner into an open bowl.  Jim found his chute off a saddle to the right.  Seperating the 2 was a mini shoulder/spine that I found myself on.  After looking back up at our lines it just dawned on me that I missed out big by not having a video camera.  I had a vision of Jim riding down the chute while I or someone sprayed snow off the nose onto him and the chute.  Eventually he would reappear out of a cloud of smoke.  Wondering how many days in the year when avi conditions would support this.  Oh well next time.<br><br>Our last run would take us out far on the arm.  It was 2pm and the weather was finally making its entrance.  By the time we dropped in it started snowing.  Turn after turn we carved effortlessly in bottomless pow.  Was truly gangbusters!  Back at the lot we gazed back at a socked in resort.  There were sun breaks in the lot followed by periods of snow.  As we got ready to leave a group near by invited us over for some dogs and bs.  Ummm...thanx hit the spot.  On the way out we stopped for some Guiness and food at Grahams.  I feel a food coma coming on. 8)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2005 02:26 #211871 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: March 24, 2005, Baker REOPENS
Yeah! Next, Hattrup on a split?

• snoslut
  • [boarddude]
More
27 Mar 2005 23:36 #211877 by snoslut
Replied by snoslut on topic Re: March 24, 2005, Baker REOPENS
Its not the Mike Hattrup your thinking of. Weird eh? 2 Hattrups about the same age - mid 40s. There is skier Mike Hattrup who has a brother Peter, who played pro soccer. Then there is boarder Mike.