Home > Trip Reports > August 7-8, 2012, Ruth Mountain

August 7-8, 2012, Ruth Mountain

8/7/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by jtmaier on 8/9/12 2:00am
This was my first trip up to Ruth Mountain, and it will be my first post to TAY. Pat and I headed up to Ruth for a one night stay to see if we could catch any August turns. We got a late start on Tuesday and decided to setup camp at Hannegan Camp and lose some weight. We went up to Ruth Arm that evening to scout out the route and check out the lines. After sleeping in Wednesday morning, we reached the summit of Ruth at about 2:15. We decided on skiing the bowl below the summit and making our way back towards the trail. The snow consisted of slushy sun cups. The cups became harder as we descended. Overall, great August conditions. It looked like a line was still possible to the valley, but we were unsure about hiking out from the valley. Also, some crevasses were starting to form at the entrance to the valley line. We saw 5 crevasses that were easily visible, the largest was right below Rest Rock.

Thanks for your first trip report.  Nice view of the bowl.

Nice work! Man, it looks like there is still a s-ton of snow up there. I was wondering where you started skinning from? I would assume it would be up on the arm, but?
Keep em coming
T

Skinning would have been nice… I don't currently my own touring skis (looking to invest in September), so the skis were on my backpack all the way up this trip. You could start skinning after the steep section after Hannegan Pass (the traverse around Point 5930) with maybe 1 or 2 short carries where the trail is completely melted out right before the arm. Otherwise, the arm had pretty good coverage.

Way to get after it!  8)

You guys just missed us, we were up the August 4-6th enjoying the Canadian Long weekend. We had a nice relaxing weekend which included a gorgeous sunset from the top of Hannegan Peak on the Satruday night, a casual ascent and
ski off summit of ruth Sunday (followed by chilling in the shade into the evening and enjoying the rest of our food and fully stocked bar) and a good hike out on Monday.

The Ruth central gully was melted out to gray/blue glacier ice when we arrived on the 4th, though there was some narrow alternatives to access it, but we were pleased with laps in the bowl. I'm sure you guys saw our tracks up there?

What tremendous views from the summit of Ruth! Hannegan Peak as well. Go get it TAYers

Reply to this TR

august-7-8-2012-ruth-mountain
jtmaier
2012-08-09 09:00:06