Home > Trip Reports > August 8, 2012, Ingalls two-fer

August 8, 2012, Ingalls two-fer

8/8/12
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 8/8/12 3:18pm
Inspired by jtack's 8/4

We made good time to the bottom of the south ridge of the north peak of Ingalls Peak and were on the route at 11:30

The climb is top notch fun with all the thrills but none of the danger or scary parts.  We climbed up:

and rappelled down

"dear Sara..."

and we were on the snow at 1:30 p.m.

The skiing was just great.  Like Jamie reported on Saturday, we were able to ski all the way to the lake.  The short carry from Saturday had melted to a pretty significant carry today and the incentive to take your skis all the way to the col is deteriorating quickly.  But it was still awesome to be skiing above Lake Ingalls in August, in the sunshine, in short sleeves.  Just awesome.

Jamie near the base of the climb.  See the snow finger above?  That part was just a little sketchy.

the finger

turns to the lake

right TO the lake!

I had an interesting water-getting spot.  Looks foolish, I know, but it felt pretty solid.  The moat was very shallow, minor inconvenience only, should I fall in.

We both had a quick dive into the lake; me not to be outdone by Jamie's daughter from the earlier report, Jamie not to be outdone by me.  Viscous cycle. 

We met several people and some goats on the trail.  Notably, a group of guides in training from Plain, WA., a couple from Seattle who were climbing the East Ridge of the North peak of Ingalls, and two guys headed to the north ridge of Stuart.  Seems like everyone is doing something interesting in that area, but none were getting the full climb/ski two-fer experience that we were getting.  Add a skinny dip to the list and we were on a three activity tare!

Walking back to the pass there was this little tiny snowfield:

and it was just calling our names...

Mike!.... Jamie!.... don't pass me by!
so you know what we did....

Yup!

What a day.  Just great.
Jamie shouldered his skis back to the car

(toughest guy I know)

and we negotiated the free range road obstacles

and we were back at the park and ride at the north end of Wenatchee at 7:30 pm.  What a great day. 

*edited 8-9-12 to add some pics from Jamie
Great report Mike!  I love the two-fers, be it ice/ski, or rock/ski.  Full value day for the eastside obsessed.

Kind of surprised Jamie didn't shoulder his skis for the rock climb too.

Great TR and photos. Do you have the Voile Vector BC ?

author=jwplotz link=topic=25494.msg107737#msg107737 date=1344493503]
Great report Mike!  I love the two-fers, be it ice/ski, or rock/ski.  Full value day for the eastside obsessed.

Thanks, John.  I enjoy reading about your multi-sport adventures.  I remember one recently that involved ice, powder, and whippet avalanche mitigation.

author=alecapone link=topic=25494.msg107742#msg107742 date=1344531694]
Kind of surprised Jamie didn't shoulder his skis for the rock climb too.

If there'd been snow on top, I bet that is just how he'd have climbed.  That would be a great photo.

author=Zap link=topic=25494.msg107747#msg107747 date=1344536445]
Great TR and photos. Do you have the Voile Vector BC ?

Thanks Zap, Yes, Vector BC.  I love them.  I have the shortest model with the TTS telemark binding system which uses a Dynafit type toe and a G3 heel throw.  I really like the whole set-up.  I use Scarpa F1's on the recommendation of a couple other guys who use the TTS binding.  Boots, bindings and skis together weigh just about 13#.

I would really call it a three-fer, if you include the quick dive in the lake!

- man, I think you guys have as much stoke as myself; thanks for the good 'buzz' off your rpt.   keep on hike/ skiin'.   oh yaa - & tapping the water source.

Reply to this TR

august-8-2012-ingalls-two-fer
mikerolfs
2012-08-08 22:18:11