Home > Trip Reports > August 04, 2112 Ingalls Lake

August 04, 2112 Ingalls Lake

8/15/12
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by jtack on 8/5/12 3:59am
The parking lot at the Ingalls Lake trail head was packed, half the crowd, from the wet side looking for sun, and the other half from the dry side looking for cooler temperatures.  No matter what you were looking for, it was the right place to be.  We left the trail head at 0800 and had not been on the trail for more than a few minuets, when we met people declaring that we were wasting our time carrying skies, "there was no where to ski up there". it did make me a little nervous, but we were bound and determined to see what we could find.  On the way up we spied a nice little snow patch on the north side of Esmeralda Peak, that would make for a quick easy place to sign your turns to.

But we were holding out for loftier goals, we made Ingalls pass by1000 stopped for a drink, and a visit with a band of climbers headed for Stuart.  It did look a little bleak in the snow department, but I knew there was a good chance there would be enough snow to ski from the base of Ingalls peak to the lake.  The hike across the basin to the lake was just spectacular, wildlife (goats, and marmots), scenery, and Shooting Stars.

We made good progress, and were standing at the col by noon, we missed the full ski from the top, and there were a few rocks showing, but we were able to ski all the way to the lake shore with only one rock hop.  It is hard to beat the azure blue of the lake, half covered with ice and Stuart in the back ground, to feel like this is the the best place in the world.

The snow was very nice, soft and creamy.

It was sooo good, that I circled back for another lap, and my partner decided that a swim was in order.  We have a running competition for membership in the Polar bear club, so I knew that by the time I was back at the lake, if I wanted to save face, I too would be soaking in the ice filled lake.

There was quite a crowd at the lake, it was warm, almost hot, not a breath of wind, and before long there were seven or eight merpeople, taking the plunge. 

As predicted, I was goaded into a plunge, and it was unbelievably brisk, but I did pass the bear test by getting completely under.  A fantastic day of skiing swimming and lounging in a wonderful spot.

I spied this sticker on a rig in the parking lot.

Awesome! I want that sticker!

Looks like Mike's sticker is making the rounds!

I can't blame you for not waiting for me.  Looks like you had the perfect day with the perfect partner.  Think I might follow your lead sometime midweek if I can sneak out of work. 

Nice report!

I bet that water is cold, with ice bergs still floating around!  Polar bear for sure.
I shouldn't have read your report.  I'm distracted now and can't keep my mind on work.

author=Eckels link=topic=25482.msg107661#msg107661 date=1344197091]
Awesome! I want that sticker!

Yea, where can we get that sticker?

Mike Rolfs is the sticker maker, he was kind enough to make me one, and that picture is the back of my pickup.

Reply to this TR

august-04-2112-ingalls-lake
jtack
2012-08-05 10:59:26