Home > Trip Reports > August 4, 2012, Paradise Glacier

August 4, 2012, Paradise Glacier

8/4/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by wolfs on 8/5/12 2:40am
Possible to start skinning and end skiing at the bridge and smaller creek crossing just below the memorial. Snow in the valley wasn't too bad surface wise. On the way back it was possible to off-angle sideways skate through the flatter parts, which was a great help for speeding up that part. Skinned valley then  angled below headwall but before Cowlitz gap on sketch but continuous snow. Some bare ice starting to show lower glacier closer to gap.

Quiet! All day I only saw one other solo telemarker until Moon Rocks crossover where there were some camps. Also saw an old school sailplane fly over eastward going around the mountain, it was probably 1500 feet or less above me. Hope he found some thermals later to get more altitude, and wonder where he would land eventually?

Raised tracks on the glacier are a definite problem. Makes it necessary to pick your line away from them especially on the steepest parts where the tracks seem to be the worst. The raised tracks were wall to wall on the Anvil Rock descent slope (along with some rockfall on surface) so saw no point in going that high and stopped at Moon Rocks side, 9000'. Ski was pretty good. Just a bit sticky but well within acceptable range. Cups runnels etc present but also acceptable so long as away from raised tracks or other pitted areas. Breakover crevasse visible, crossable in several places.

Great flowers on the 4th Crossing trail and lower Mazama Ridge. Big crowds visible Paradise proper, cars were parked PAST 4th crossing by time I returned, Park was running many shuttles to accommodate.

Reply to this TR

august-4-2012-paradise-glacier
wolfs
2012-08-05 09:40:16