Home > Trip Reports > July 31, 2012, Keeping the streak alive (paradise)

July 31, 2012, Keeping the streak alive (paradise)

7/31/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by samthaman on 7/31/12 12:51pm
I thought the streak I'd started in the fall of '09 all the way back in VT was over today, but unexpectedly this AM my schedule freed up and I was able to head down to Rainier for some summer turns. In retrospect, I probably should have just headed up to baker, but Rainier is still new to me and I wanted to explore rather than just re-ski a route I'd been on before. Anyway, I figured: "it's paradise, like a million people a year hike up to Muir from there every year, I won't need a map on a nice day", little did I know (since the only other time I'd been there there were big snowbanks to the parking lot) trails go EVERYWHERE except directly to skin-able snow.

Anyway long story short I blundered all over the place and spent far too long hiking on trails in ski boots looking at snow a few hundred yards away. All of it was worthwhile for the decent though, several thousand feet of smooth-ish corn and a welcome break from the tourists. I think I managed to put together a decent decent run, but it definitely takes a bit more local knowledge this time of year than it does in april.

Favorite questions of the day:
"Going skiing?"
"Are those special bindings?
"Where are you going to go skiing?!"
author=samthaman link=topic=25460.msg107598#msg107598 date=1343793106]
"Going skiing?"

At least the answer to two of these three questions is a simple "yes". 

We did the same thing a few days earlier. We ended up hiking the "trail" from the visitor center so the skiing didn't start until above Pebble Creek. On the way down once we got past the rock steps below Pebble Creek, we just "stayed skiers right" and nearly skied down to the parking lot.  We found no corn.

author=samthaman link=topic=25460.msg107598#msg107598 date=1343793106]
"Going skiing?"

Funny. My favorite question at Paradise: "Is that oxygen?" from a little lady dolled up with purplish red hair, fresh off one of those senior citizen tour buses.  She was pointing at my camelback tube.

author=Kismet link=topic=25460.msg107603#msg107603 date=1343831932]
Funny. My favorite question at Paradise: "Is that oxygen?" from a little lady dolled up with purplish red hair, fresh off one of those senior citizen tour buses.  She was pointing at my camelback tube.

Laughing for days.

Way to keep the streak alive, Sam.

I think my most frequent tourist question while packing skis and a day pack is "did you ski from the top".
After disappointing so many by describing the particular local I line skied, any more I just answer "sure", and they're all joyous :)

Anytime you're looking for a quick steer to skiable snow with the least amount hiking around Paradise, just drop me a line. That's one of my regular haunts.

author=Kismet link=topic=25460.msg107603#msg107603 date=1343831932]

amazing, I think i'd be speachless. I confess though, I have wondered what the weight to benefit ratio on oxygen is, could you make a super fast (if completely style-less) ascent of rainier faster with oxygen than w/o? ;)

I went up to Camp Muir last Friday and observed two clear signs of a late melt out around Paradise: Abundant avalanche lilies, and not one person asking, "Is there snow up there?" (Give em a couple weeks.)

I would like a t-shirt that says: "YES! I have been or am going skiing. YES! there is snow up there. YES! the snow was or will be fine."

Kudos on your streak. And your optimism and fortitude for hitting those paved trails in ski boots. It still sounds better than the two guys I met wearing crampons up the trail.

Good on ya Sam!  Wish I could have joined, but I'm stuck in this office.  I hope to someday have as many months of TAY as you, I've got August, September and October to go for my first one-year TAY.

keep gettin' some!

Reply to this TR

july-31-2012-keeping-the-streak-alive-paradise
samthaman
2012-07-31 19:51:46