telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/20/17, 08:40 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2012 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  July 2012 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  July 31, 2012, Keeping the streak alive (paradise)
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: July 31, 2012, Keeping the streak alive (paradise)  (Read 2436 times)
samthaman

July 31, 2012, Keeping the streak alive (paradise)
« on: 07/31/12, 08:51 PM »

I thought the streak I'd started in the fall of '09 all the way back in VT was over today, but unexpectedly this AM my schedule freed up and I was able to head down to Rainier for some summer turns. In retrospect, I probably should have just headed up to baker, but Rainier is still new to me and I wanted to explore rather than just re-ski a route I'd been on before. Anyway, I figured: "it's paradise, like a million people a year hike up to Muir from there every year, I won't need a map on a nice day", little did I know (since the only other time I'd been there there were big snowbanks to the parking lot) trails go EVERYWHERE except directly to skin-able snow.

Anyway long story short I blundered all over the place and spent far too long hiking on trails in ski boots looking at snow a few hundred yards away. All of it was worthwhile for the decent though, several thousand feet of smooth-ish corn and a welcome break from the tourists. I think I managed to put together a decent decent run, but it definitely takes a bit more local knowledge this time of year than it does in april.

Favorite questions of the day:
"Going skiing?"
"Are those special bindings?
"Where are you going to go skiing?!"
skier8484

Re: July 31, 2012, Keeping the streak alive (paradise)
« Reply #1 on: 07/31/12, 10:14 PM »

"Going skiing?"

At least the answer to two of these three questions is a simple "yes". 
avajane

« Reply #2 on: 08/01/12, 12:47 AM »

We did the same thing a few days earlier. We ended up hiking the "trail" from the visitor center so the skiing didn't start until above Pebble Creek. On the way down once we got past the rock steps below Pebble Creek, we just "stayed skiers right" and nearly skied down to the parking lot.  We found no corn.

Brian Izdepski, Facebook TAY
Kismet
5Member

« Reply #3 on: 08/01/12, 07:38 AM »

"Going skiing?"

Funny. My favorite question at Paradise: "Is that oxygen?" from a little lady dolled up with purplish red hair, fresh off one of those senior citizen tour buses.  She was pointing at my camelback tube.
r1de

« Reply #4 on: 08/01/12, 07:59 AM »

Funny. My favorite question at Paradise: "Is that oxygen?" from a little lady dolled up with purplish red hair, fresh off one of those senior citizen tour buses.  She was pointing at my camelback tube.

Laughing for days.

--
-bp
ron j

« Reply #5 on: 08/01/12, 08:21 AM »

Way to keep the streak alive, Sam.

I think my most frequent tourist question while packing skis and a day pack is "did you ski from the top".
After disappointing so many by describing the particular local I line skied, any more I just answer "sure", and they're all joyous Smiley

Anytime you're looking for a quick steer to skiable snow with the least amount hiking around Paradise, just drop me a line. That's one of my regular haunts.
« Last Edit: 08/01/12, 08:33 AM by ron j » Logged

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
samthaman

« Reply #6 on: 08/01/12, 09:43 AM »

amazing, I think i'd be speachless. I confess though, I have wondered what the weight to benefit ratio on oxygen is, could you make a super fast (if completely style-less) ascent of rainier faster with oxygen than w/o? Wink
« Last Edit: 08/01/12, 09:49 AM by samthaman » Logged
crustos
5Member

« Reply #7 on: 08/01/12, 10:02 AM »

I went up to Camp Muir last Friday and observed two clear signs of a late melt out around Paradise: Abundant avalanche lilies, and not one person asking, "Is there snow up there?" (Give em a couple weeks.)

I would like a t-shirt that says: "YES! I have been or am going skiing. YES! there is snow up there. YES! the snow was or will be fine."

Kudos on your streak. And your optimism and fortitude for hitting those paved trails in ski boots. It still sounds better than the two guys I met wearing crampons up the trail.

bellingham
5Member

« Reply #8 on: 08/01/12, 10:40 AM »

Good on ya Sam!  Wish I could have joined, but I'm stuck in this office.  I hope to someday have as many months of TAY as you, I've got August, September and October to go for my first one-year TAY.

keep gettin' some!
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.