Home > Trip Reports > July 25-26, MRNP Muir Snowfields

July 25-26, MRNP Muir Snowfields

7/15/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by avajane on 7/31/12 4:17am
Hiked up to 7,600' on Wednesday evening with my adult son Casey. It was a beautiful warm and clear evening. Carrying camping gear was tough, but the chance to start from halfway up the next morning was worth it. The evening and morning light was also nice for the pictures. We had good skinning conditions the next day, and partial cloud cover kept it from getting too hot. The ski down was very difficult in sticky, heavily cupped snow. My son (a gifted skier) commented that it was embarrassing to be skiing with such difficulty with all these people hiking up. I agreed. I figured the skiers would see for themselves soon enough!

After the trip I read that the skiing on the nearby Paradise Glacier was still good. So is it pretty much common knowledge that the Muir is poor at this time of year? Or did we just get unlucky with the partial cloud cover not making proper corn? Maybe later that day it got better? I've skied Muir probably 5 times over the years, and never had it this bad earlier or later. Since I brought my heavy camera up we really tried to make the ski pictures look good!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3935399141099.2151045.1163447703&type=3&l=e6270b95bb

I use Photoshop as my photo editor, but haven't been able to resize my pictures properly to get them to show up here. Any ideas?
author=avajane link=topic=25459.msg107592#msg107592 date=1343762252]
Hiked up to 7,600' on Wednesday evening with my adult son Casey. It was a beautiful warm and clear evening. Carrying camping gear was tough, but the chance to start from halfway up the next morning was worth it. The evening and morning light was also nice for the pictures. We had good skinning conditions the next day, and partial cloud cover kept it from getting too hot. The ski down was very difficult in sticky, heavily cupped snow. My son (a gifted skier) commented that it was embarrassing to be skiing with such difficulty with all these people hiking up. I agreed. I figured the skiers would see for themselves soon enough!

After the trip I read that the skiing on the nearby Paradise Glacier was still good. So is it pretty much common knowledge that the Muir is poor at this time of year? Or did we just get unlucky with the partial cloud cover not making proper corn? Maybe later that day it got better? I've skied Muir probably 5 times over the years, and never had it this bad earlier or later. Since I brought my heavy camera up we really tried to make the ski pictures look good!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3935399141099.2151045.1163447703&type=3&l=e6270b95bb

I use Photoshop as my photo editor, but haven't been able to resize my pictures properly to get them to show up here. Any ideas?

Reply to this TR

july-25-26-mrnp-muir-snowfields
avajane
2012-07-31 11:17:32