Home > Trip Reports > July 29, 2012, Ruth Mountain, North Cascades

July 29, 2012, Ruth Mountain, North Cascades

7/29/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by skier8484 on 7/31/12 12:01am
Did a quick hit on Ruth Mountain with allen@taylor on Sunday.  Still great skiing to be had (read: soft carveable suncups) all way into the valley.  The lines into the valley should be good for at least another week, possibly two.  The trail was in great shape, and comments regarding "if we were going skiing" were minimal, making for an easy approach/deproach via the Hannegan Pass Trail. 

A few photos:

We skinned from just above the steep, brushy climbers trail:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-He0cB0qbd7s/UBd7sAdMRZI/AAAAAAAADJg/BDti2qz3550/s640/Ruth-4.jpg" />

Alpine scenery - check:

We then enjoyed carvy suncups all the way to the valley bottom:

you ski more in the summer than you do in the winter  >:(

Nice line!  I was scoping that one out myself.  I wasn't able to get the whole thing because I had to head back to camp with my group to pack up.  I am glad that somebody got it though!

Up there this weekend, on foot. Lines to the valley floor still go. Upper slopes are cuppy but smooth-enough. Lower lines look possible but possibly consequential. One small crack near Ruth's summit. Traverse to Icy is in good shape, glacier travel straightforward.

I've climbed Ruth several times via the Hannegan pass route.  I've always wondered whether one could just head straight up from the valley though, doesn't seem too steep and would make for a much more direct approach.  Anyone tried it?

Reply to this TR

july-29-2012-ruth-mountain-north-cascades
skier8484
2012-07-31 07:01:41