Home > Forum > New Routes in the Pacific Northwest (nwmj.org)

New Routes in the Pacific Northwest (nwmj.org)

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
29 Jul 2012 21:08 - 31 Dec 2015 15:46 #206092 by Lowell_Skoog

New Routes in the Pacific Northwest (from NWMJ.org)

Readers of the Northwest Mountaineering Journal (NWMJ) may know that the journal has been without a lead editor since I stepped down in Autumn 2010 after the 7th issue was published.  I'm too busy right now to lead the effort.  Several volunteers have continued work on the journal, but progress has been slow.  Since I'm not leading the effort anymore, I can't say when the next issue will appear.

For several years, the NWMJ editorial team has used a private wiki to collect information for the journal.  Editorial team members browse on-line forums looking for new routes to add to the wiki. 

Since we don't know when the next issue will appear, I've decided to make the editorial team's work more accessible now. I've added a page to the NWMJ website that I call the NWMJ New Route Inbox. Here is the direct link:

www.mountaineers.org/nwmj/inbox.html

This page is accessible from the top-level NWMJ web page .  It is also available from the NWMJ Index of Short Reports .

The inbox contains every new route (that I know of) since NWMJ Issue 7 was published that may be suitable for the next NWMJ issue.  The list has not been fully vetted by the NWMJ editors. Some routes might not be new or might not be within the NWMJ scope.  Currently there are 95 prospective routes listed.  We will continue to update this page as new routes are uncovered.

Publishing the NWMJ Inbox makes this historical information easy to find in one place and provides a way to get the facts right.  The inbox contains just the critical information: date, route, party members, trip report link(s), and miscellaneous notes.  If you have comments, additions or corrections to the list, please let me know. An email contact link is included on the NWMJ inbox page.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikerolfs
  • [mikerolfs]
More
30 Jul 2012 06:22 #206093 by mikerolfs
I browsed the list. Wow. Folks have been busy!
Thanks for the info., Lowell.

• samthaman
  • [samthaman]
More
30 Jul 2012 09:31 #206094 by samthaman
Awesome! thanks for posting that up Lowell.

I really have no understanding of the history of the NW alpine journal, but it seems like you've amassed some awesome local content here that people are eager to read and advertisers might be eager to support. Have you ever given any thought to trying to generate a little money that way to support an editors position? You and others clearly spend a ton of time on this, and it'd be nice to see you rewarded for your work, even if it's a token amount of money. Anyway, just a thought. Thanks for all the background work on this.

More
30 Jul 2012 10:01 #206095 by davidG
A years worth of provocative reading, right there in one place.  Nice!

Like the idea of the candidate list/stories even if many don't make the eventual 'definitive' journal.  Brilliant!

dg

• garyabrill
  • [garyabrill]
More
31 Jul 2012 13:39 #206106 by garyabrill
Although I am not so naive to think this is a first ascent, it is nonetheless not described in the Guidebook or elsewhere. It is probably the nicest route on Mt. Deception:

www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=...&highlight=deception

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Jan 2014 08:51 #211533 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: New Routes in the Pacific Northwest (nwmj.org)
This is the time of year when I review notes collected during the past 12 months and update the chronologies on my ski history website:

www.alpenglow.org/ski-history/

I'm also continuing to update the NWMJ new route "inbox" on the following page:

www.mountaineers.org/nwmj/inbox.html

The NWMJ inbox now has 133 candidate routes awaiting publication in a future issue of NWMJ.  The routes have not been fully vetted by NWMJ editors, so the list may change eventually.

Hopefully we'll find a way to publish short reports of these routes in NWMJ when someone has more time to devote to it. For now, the raw list is a handy reference.

If you know of unreported routes that are missing from the list, or adventures that pre-date the listed routes, feel free to drop me a line (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) or post something here.

Thanks!

• danpeck
  • [danpeck]
More
06 Jan 2014 11:19 #211581 by danpeck
Thanks Lowell: You have given me some great reading and as always a lot of inspiration to get into the alpine.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
29 Dec 2014 20:07 #223379 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: New Routes in the Pacific Northwest (nwmj.org)
This is the time of year when I review notes I've collected during the past 12 months and update the chronologies on my ski history website:

I'm also continuing to update the Northwest Mountaineering Journal new route "inbox" on the following page:

www.alpenglow.org/nwmj/inbox.html

The NWMJ inbox now has 156 candidate routes awaiting publication in a future issue of the journal. The routes have not been fully vetted by editors, so the list may change eventually.

Hopefully we'll find a way to publish short reports of these routes in NWMJ when someone has more time to devote to it. For now, the raw list is a handy reference.

Most of the new routes I've posted were completed in 2014. But a few earlier routes have come to light. These include:

1999, Mt Rainier, Fuhrer Thumb ski descent
1999, Mt Garfield, West Peak, Preiss route
2004, Bears Breast Mtn, SE mega-slab
2011, Colchuck Balanced Rock, "Honey Badger"
2011, Mt Stuart, "Gorillas Direct"
2011, Kangaroo Tower, "Captain Kangaroo"
2013, Argonaut Peak, NW Buttress (FWA)

If you find errors or know of unreported routes that are missing from the list, feel free to drop me a line (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) or post something here.

Thanks!

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
31 Dec 2015 15:41 #225537 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: New Routes in the Pacific Northwest
This is the time of year when I review notes I've collected during the past 12 months and update the chronologies on my ski history website:

I'm also continuing to update the Northwest Mountaineering Journal new route "inbox" on the following page:

The NWMJ inbox now has 182 candidate routes awaiting publication in a future issue of the journal. The routes have not been fully vetted by editors, so the list may change eventually.

Most of the new routes I've posted were completed in 2015. But a few earlier routes have come to light. These include:

1998, Dragontail Peak, "String Theory," new route
2005, Little Tahoma, Lower NE Face, ski descent
2009, Mt Stuart, "Mixed Blessings, Right," new route
2009, Red Mountain, West ("Painted") Couloir, ski descent
2011, Black Buttes, Thunder Glacier Headwall (Pt 8704ft), ski descent
2012, Rocky Peak (Olympics), SE Face ("The Dragon's Tooth"), ski descent
2013, Sherman Peak, Talum Glacier, ski descent

If you find errors or know of unreported routes that are missing from the list, feel free to drop me a line (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) or post something here.

Thanks!

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
12 Jan 2017 16:58 #228251 by Lowell_Skoog

The NWMJ inbox now has 204 candidate routes awaiting publication in a future issue of the journal. The routes have not been fully vetted by editors, so the list may change eventually.

Most of the new routes I've posted were completed in 2016. But a few earlier routes have come to light. These include:

2006, "Black Widow" (Peak 7440+ east of Spider Mtn), First ascent
2014, Kitling Peak, North Face ski descent

Thanks!

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
05 Jan 2018 15:34 - 05 Jan 2018 16:01 #230630 by Lowell_Skoog

The NWMJ inbox now has 236 candidate routes awaiting publication in a future issue of the journal. The routes have not been fully vetted by editors, so the list may change eventually.

Thanks!

• samthaman
  • [samthaman]
More
05 Jan 2018 16:04 #230631 by samthaman

The NWMJ inbox now has 236 candidate routes awaiting publication in a future issue of the journal. The routes have not been fully vetted by editors, so the list may change eventually.

Thanks!

I really appreciate that you do this Lowell. It's been a great inspiration. I'd be happy to chip in a few $$ to help offset hosting fees unless you can recommend a better way to support the project.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
09 Jan 2019 19:40 #232295 by Lowell_Skoog

The NWMJ inbox now has 244 candidate routes awaiting publication in a future issue of the journal. The routes have not been fully vetted by editors, so the list may change eventually.

Most of the new routes I've posted were completed in 2018. But a previously unreported ski traverse from the Canadian border to near Lake Wenatchee was completed by Peter Dale and Aaron Mainer in April-May 2016.

Thanks!