Home > Trip Reports > July 21, 2012, Mt Shasta Wintun/Hotulm Ski

July 21, 2012, Mt Shasta Wintun/Hotulm Ski

7/21/12
US elsewhere
Posted by buildakicker on 7/29/12 5:37am
Thought I'd let other know about the Winun Hotlum route. Maintracks and myself headed up there on the 21st. We left the trail head in our ski boots at around 4am. The snow was skinable at 8500' just at the foot of the Brewer Creek basecamp. It was farther than I had thought to the snow, as 4 weeks prior, it looked as though there'd be snow until August down there... anyhow... We skinned up to 11,800 by 10am or so had some lunch and then took off for the final push. The snow was just corning up perfectly as walked across the rocks south to the Wintun glacier and headed up the last 1,800' reaching the top around 12:00 or so... 12:30 maybe. That last 1,800' vert is a slog up up up. The corn snow on the top part of the Wintun glacier was maybe 2" to 3" deep. I used crampons, but you could do it without.

We relaxed up near the top out of the wind, ate some food, took a nap and then headed just below the summit to the top of the 6000' of bliss below. Well, most of it was bliss. The top 1800 was as good as spring could be. After crossing back over the rocks to the main route, we got another 3200' of good corn skiing. Around 9,500' the suncups began to be large enough that the skiing wasn't smooth and you had to navigate around the larger ones.

We skied as far as we could down, then booted the trail back. That Brewer creek trail is a meandering thing. With no trail, you walk such an easy direct line, with the trail its like following and my kids around the yard. :) My feet were done walking down in my boots, Maintracks suggested barefoot, about 10mins later I was happy as can get and only 15mins or so from the car. Time for some new boots.

All in all, it was a great trip, great ski and a big day. If you are looking to hit this route from now on, it'd recommend hiking up to 8500 or higher the day before or taking your shoes to hike up to the snow.

Follow up if you do go!

The top part of the Wintun Glacier

Looking down from near the top. Hotlum glacier on the left, Brewer Creek just right of that near the bottom

From just below the Brewer Creek basecamp area.

Where the sun cups started to get bad....
- kicka, you sure get it done (for a new schooler).  where did you build a kicker ?  I think it stayed good due to the wet snow that fell through June.  I caught some fresh corn during the solstice period.  *nice rpt.

author=all mtn link=topic=25445.msg107563#msg107563 date=1343677557]
- kicka, you sure get it done (for a new schooler).  where did you build a kicker ?   I think it stayed good due to the wet snow that fell through June.  I caught some fresh corn during the solstice period.  *nice rpt.

Haha, thanks. Ya, kickers in the Pow only. It's gotta be soft the older you get... Thanks for the kind words :)

Reply to this TR

july-21-2012-mt-shasta-wintun-hotulm-ski
buildakicker
2012-07-29 12:37:04