Home > Trip Reports > 7/21-22, 2012, Goat Rocks Old Snowy, Curtis Gilbert

7/21-22, 2012, Goat Rocks Old Snowy, Curtis Gilbert

7/15/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by artfreeman on 7/25/12 11:27pm
If you are thinking of climbing Old Snowy or Curtis Gilbert in the Goat Rocks, and you are an avid skier who never gives up hope until you are sking on dirt, then this may be the place for you!  Otherwise, maybe you just want to walk, like my friends did.  I carried skis to Snowgrass Flats where there is still considerable snow.  Good navigational skills reguired.  Camped between Ives and Curtis Gilbert near the ridge.  Then scrambled Curtis Gilbert, which is not a trivial scramble from this side, with some steep loose rock and a couple "you fall you die" short snow slope crossings.  After that I took a lovely run down maybe 1500' toward the Klickitat River drainage.  Well softenen snow, but the sun cups are getting bad in this whole area, plus major runnels especially in the flats.

Next day hit the north slope and traversed over to Old Snowy (easy walk-up).  The others hit Ives on the way, but I took a long run on the slopes east of Old Snowy.  Also too sun cupped for my taste.  Time to go higher!  Photos courtesy of Iron Mike will give you some idea of the conditions.  It's a lovely area. 
Amazing.  I've been wanting to get there too... this TR serves as good motivation and excellent beta on what can be had.

Thanks!

Nice photos Art, especially the 1st one.  Was great to meet you and ski the Paradise Glacier today!

Art, are you bringing skis to the Anderson Gl. this wk-end?

Hmm.  I can picture you considering it - you *nut*.
I wouldn't even *if* I got sponsored skis from dps and fitted my bike w/ ski quivers.

Hi Barbara, that was a fun day at Rainier.  I may go back.  I wonder if Silas is still down there holding court?  Iron Mike took those pix and he is very good.  Hope we can ski together again soon.

James, yes you are right, I need a 12 step program fast!  I even thought of tagging along with Hollywood on Olympus--a definite sign of sickness. No I am not skiing Anderson.

Reply to this TR

7-21-22-2012-goat-rocks-old-snowy-curtis-gilbert
artfreeman
2012-07-26 06:27:41