Home > Forum > Who here wished for the 7000ft snowlevels?

Who here wished for the 7000ft snowlevels?

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
24 Mar 2005 19:25 #171370 by Jeff Huber
Who here wished for the 7000ft snowlevels? was created by Jeff Huber
I've decided the best way to cope with our poor season is by turning to superstition. So -- which one of us wished for high snowlevels AGAIN?<br><br>

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT<br>NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PORTLAND OR<br>926 PM PST THU MAR 24 2005<br><br>ORZ001&gt;013-WAZ019&gt;023-039-040-251317-<br>CASCADE FOOTHILLS IN LANE COUNTY-CASCADES IN LANE COUNTY-<br>CENTRAL COAST RANGE OF WESTERN OREGON-CENTRAL OREGON COAST-&lt;snip&gt;<br><br>926 PM PST THU MAR 24 2005<br><br>...A STRONG PACIFIC FRONTAL SYSTEM TO AFFECT SOUTHWEST WASHINGTON AND<br>NORTHWEST OREGON THIS WEEKEND...<br><br>THE STRONGEST PACIFIC FRONTAL SYSTEM IN QUITE SOME TIME IS FORECAST<br>TO AFFECT SOUTHWEST WASHINGTON AND NORTHWEST OREGON THIS WEEKEND.<br><br>THE STORM WILL LIKELY PRODUCE STRONG GALE FORCE WINDS OVER THE<br>COASTAL WATERS LATER FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY NIGHT. WINDS MAY GUST<br>TO 55 MPH OR SO ALONG COASTAL HEADLANDS ESPECIALLY SATURDAY AND<br>SATURDAY NIGHT.<br><br>THE FRONT WILL ALSO LIKELY PRODUCE THE GREATEST AMOUNT OF RAINFALL<br>OVER SOUTHWEST WASHINGTON AND NORTHWEST OREGON IN SEVERAL MONTHS.<br>COMPUTER MODELS ESTIMATE AMOUNTS OF 2 TO 4 INCHES POSSIBLE SATURDAY<br>THROUGH SUNDAY ALONG THE COAST AND IN THE MOUNTAINS...WITH AN INCH OR<br>MORE IN THE VALLEYS.<br><br>SNOW LEVELS IN THE MOUNTAINS WILL RISE UP TO AROUND 7000 FEET DURING<br>THIS STORM...BEFORE FALLING BACK TO NEAR OR BELOW PASS ELEVATIONS<br>EARLY NEXT WEEK.<br><br>BE PREPARED FOR A DAMP AND UNSETTLED EASTER WEEKEND.<br>

<br>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
24 Mar 2005 19:39 #171371 by Jeff Huber
Replied by Jeff Huber on topic Re: Who here wished for the 7000ft snowlevels?
Slightly mitigating the horror of the above, the Seattle Discussion offers this, "THE MOUNTAINS SHOULD LOSE SOME SNOW SATURDAY BUT SEE TWO GOOD STORMS NEXT WEEK."

More
24 Mar 2005 22:28 #171372 by Markus
Yes, it seems that this is the next Pineapple Express for the Washington and Oregon Cascades. But it is going to be a good storm for BC. I think that the snowlevels in BC will be around 5000ft in the southern and 4000ft in the northern end of the BC Cascades. High snow amounts will fall near treeline from Mount Garibaldi until Monarch and Silverthrone Mountain in the next 5 days. The way I see it they will get over 5ft of snow in some areas. <br><br><br>Markus

• Gregg_C
  • [Gregg_C]
More
25 Mar 2005 08:48 #171383 by Gregg_C
That's why I am again blowing out of here for the Pass--Roger's that is.

More
25 Mar 2005 16:51 #171387 by Michael
Travelocity became my new friend - great cheap deals hotel + accomodation to Salt Lake :-) Oups - sorry we said no advertising on this forum ;D

• H2oskier
  • [h2oskier]
More
26 Mar 2005 02:02 #171390 by H2oskier
Replied by H2oskier on topic Re: Who here wished for the 7000ft snowlevels?
Alta.......87 inches in the past 3 days!! High pressure is back........In bounds, High Rustler/Eddie's High NoWhere and all the terrain accross the street on Superior will be getting hammered!! Better get to the airport now!

• Amar Andalkar
  • [andalkar]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
26 Mar 2005 11:04 #171395 by Amar Andalkar
Replied by Amar Andalkar on topic Re: Who here wished for the 7000ft snowlevels?
I apologize for my earlier assumption that Sky was to blame for any high snow levels. <br><br>Instead, I think we need to give him due credit for holding snow levels at 3000-4000 ft in the northern WA Cascades throughout most of the day, countering the recent forecasts of strong warming and producing an unexpected snowfall bonanza. New snow amounts as of 4 pm on March 26:<br><br>Mt Baker Ski Area: 18"<br>Stevens Pass: 12"<br>Snoqualmie Pass: 12"<br>Mt Rainier Paradise: 13"<br><br>At Baker and Rainier, much of the new snow has fallen at temperatures of 33F, attesting to the strength of Sky's powers. Unfortunately, it appears that his powers were insufficient to prevent 7000 ft snow levels and pouring rain farther south on Mount Hood. Sorry, Oregon.<br><br>

• skykilo
  • [skykilo]
More
26 Mar 2005 11:10 #171396 by skykilo
You see Amar? The weather gods demand sacrifices, like hiking 30 miles in a day, with skis on your back, for no turns. That shows deep respect. I did that yesterday, and the results are clear. <br><br>I'll be accepting tokens of gratitude via paypal...

• Amar Andalkar
  • [andalkar]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
26 Mar 2005 13:28 - 27 Mar 2005 09:52 #171398 by Amar Andalkar
Replied by Amar Andalkar on topic Re: Who here wished for the 7000ft snowlevels?
Sky, I have found convincing evidence to support your claims. Updated new snow amounts as of 6 pm on March 26: <br><br>Mt Baker Ski Area:  19"<br>Washington Pass: 17"<br>Rainy Pass: 18"<br>Park Creek Ridge: 23"<br>Stevens Pass:  13"<br>Snoqualmie Pass:  14"<br>Mt Rainier Paradise:  15"<br><br>It cannot be mere coincidence that the greatest snowfall amount was received near the head of the drainage where your sacrifices yesterday occurred. Maybe you should head down to Hood next and hike around the Timberline Trail (41 miles) with skis on your back to bring them snow instead of rain.<br>

More
26 Mar 2005 22:14 #171400 by Markus
I am really surprised that the snowlevel at Snoqualmie Pass is so low. The temperatures there are even colder then in the higher stations at Mount Baker and Mount Rainier.

• H2oskier
  • [h2oskier]
More
27 Mar 2005 03:13 #171401 by H2oskier
Replied by H2oskier on topic Re: Who here wished for the 7000ft snowlevels?
For some reason, the passes seem to get more consistent eastern flow in March. I'm not sure why or if this is actually the case. But it usually explains snowfall in the passes when it doesn't seem like it should be and rain at other higher elevations. Maybe someone knows the answer??