Home > Trip Reports > Baker's Artist Point to Grandma's - road shuttles

Baker's Artist Point to Grandma's - road shuttles

7/15/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by joke on 7/24/12 8:55am
Artist point opened up to cars today.  Some friends and I were able to do some pretty nice car shuttles from up there with minimal hiking.  We worked our way over from some small laps on Austin over to a run underneath the chimney down to Bagley Lakes.  Short hikes, stunning views, and some sunshine made for a great day.

Sorry there are no pictures, but there are several runs of continuous snow up there to be had.  Get up there and smooth out some of the sun cups for me so I can go faster later this week!!!
Nice.  I will be going Thursday after work (leaving Bham 5ish) to make some laps.  Shoot me a PM if you want carpool.

Coverage on 7-24:

Cool, some turns to be had within an hour's drive!

Does one need a Northwest Forest Pass to park at Artist's Point can anyone tell me? Ok to park overnight? Please and thanks!

author=ShailCaesar! link=topic=25426.msg107478#msg107478 date=1343255500]
Does one need a Northwest Forest Pass to park at Artist's Point can anyone tell me? Ok to park overnight? Please and thanks!

You do need a forest service pass to park, and there is no overnight parking or camping in the heather meadows area or at artist point.  The closest camping (car camping, that is) is about 10 miles before artist point near the nooksack river.

You're ok to park overnight but there are no improved camp sites anywhere near the heather meadows area.  I don't think sleeping in your car is approved either but there is an unimproved campsite at Lake Anne that would be hard to use if you couldn't leave your car in the Heather Meadows area. :D

So it's ok to leave your car  at Artist's Point overnight, but you shouldn't be in it, is that it?

author=Jason4 link=topic=25426.msg107490#msg107490 date=1343323133]
You're ok to park overnight but there are no improved camp sites anywhere near the heather meadows area.  I don't think sleeping in your car is approved either but there is an unimproved campsite at Lake Anne that would be hard to use if you couldn't leave your car in the Heather Meadows area. :D

I guess that makes sense.  What I meant to say is that there is no car camping.

author=ShailCaesar! link=topic=25426.msg107491#msg107491 date=1343324236]
So it's ok to leave your car  at Artist's Point overnight, but you shouldn't be in it, is that it?

Yep.  I think Joke is right about the forest service pass.  I have one and usually forget to put it up when I'm up there but I'm pretty sure I'll end up with a ticket at some point because of that.  I'm not really sure how far away you have to get from the parking lot before you pitch a tent, I think you'll get funny looks if you're just on top of the snowbank.

Thanks for the info! My Bivy sack and I will be tucked out of sight ;)

The whole point of "no car camping" is to prohibit late night partying in the parking lot, so don't do that.  While nobody on this site ever condones bending the rules of august bodies such as USFS or NPS, if someone happens to get to the TH after dark, and happens to catch a few Zs there, that's not camping, that's just good prep for an early AM start.

So where's a good point to ski to and picked up by vechile if you ski from the parking lot?  Trying to squeeze in a qick ski while taking east coasters up for a gawk at the snow. 

There were people tenting right beside the parking lot, hilarious! By the mid afternoon oriental touists were poking around their campsite, lifting up pots and stuff like it was some stone age exhibit.

Reply to this TR

baker-s-artist-point-to-grandma-s-road-shuttles
joke
2012-07-24 15:55:12