Home > Trip Reports > July 21, 2012, Mt Ruth

July 21, 2012, Mt Ruth

7/21/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by wolfs on 7/21/12 4:29pm
I last skied Mt Ruth

Wolfs,
Love seeing your evening shots of the places you go. and the generous descriptions.

Thanks for the report. Makes me want to ski Ruth Mountain some time. I've never been up there.

author=wolfs link=topic=25406.msg107397#msg107397 date=1342942149]
For the ski down - snow for top thousand feet was big grain corn, really no cups...

Next thousand cups about an inch but was soft enough that they barely mattered..

The nicest surprise was the last thousand at the bottom.... although there were maybe 2" cups was still soft and good for GS turns over them....

What the summer skiing community needs is a simple rating system for sun cups. A way to instantly tell whether the ski conditions are ideal. No need to estimate dimensions or convert from English to Metric units when talking to Canadian friends. A simple letter system should work:

"...You got the A, the B, the C, and the D. That's the biggest."

"I know the D is the biggest. I based my whole life on knowing that the D is the biggest!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3AMRHXMfjs    ;)

Nice meeting you (I think) yesterday afternoon.  Our group of four (1 hiker and 3 skiers) were descending just as you were nearing the summit.  Fantastic day on a modest peak with eye-popping views!

author=Lowell_Skoog link=topic=25406.msg107408#msg107408 date=1342992067]
"I know the D is the biggest. I based my whole life on knowing that the D is the biggest!"

Heh.
My conceptualization of cups is imagining how much water the thing could hold at deepest if it was horizontal. But your proposed model would surely lead to more lively onslope debates and comparisons ...

mtneer ordinaire : hi to you to, should've queried for TAY handle, I usually do. Can't imagine there were any other skiers on the mtn other than your group and me. Might've been 2 over on Inter, not sure how fresh tracks I saw were.

Thanks for the great shot of my groups tents up on Camp Curtis! 
I can testify that there were more skiers on the mountain, I can verify that a team of two made it to the summit.  I nearly cried when I realized that they were going to ski some wind packed pow around the 13k range while I was forced to plunge step it :(

Reply to this TR

july-21-2012-mt-ruth
wolfs
2012-07-21 23:29:09