telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/18/17, 08:59 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Second Ascent
Second Ascent
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2012 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  July 2012 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  July 21, 2012 Mt Ruth
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: July 21, 2012 Mt Ruth  (Read 2733 times)
wolfs

July 21, 2012 Mt Ruth
« on: 07/22/12, 12:29 AM »

I last skied Mt Ruth almost exactly a year ago. Last year definitely had more snow. But there was still plenty.

One plus of taking the trip late is that the flowers are really nice! Glacier Basin itself was awash in glacier lily yellow, and lots of lupine, bluebell, anenome and penstemon along the way before reaching basin.

Pretty much are hiking on dirt the whole way to Glacier Basin and even beyond; have to go a bit south cross country by the old mine to intersect the fingers of snow that lead up onto the Mt Ruth ridge. Waded the creek because I didn't think there'd be a snowbridge but there was, just a bit higher than basin floor (used it on way back).

There was a pesky cloud hanging over 3rd Burroughs and Winthrop all day but it never moved further; Inter Ruth and Fryingpan areas were all in sun. As I neared the top of Ruth there were some curious chevron-shaped thin clouds coming off Rainier, not sure I have seen those before.

Usual lazy day start, justified maybe this time by waiting out the fog layer, so did not top out til 5 PM, but that was not too late. Sun was still on the E snowfield, and in fact the late light was very pretty. Temps all day were just about perfect, warm but not hot.

For the ski down - snow for top thousand feet was big grain corn, really no cups. Not the least bit sticky. Great for big spraying GS. Next thousand cups about an inch but was soft enough that they barely mattered. The nicest surprise was the last thousand at the bottom. I've been here even in June and the runnels are big, but somehow there weren't really any runnels down there. And although there were maybe 2" cups was still soft and good for GS turns over them. And still not sticky.

Ruth wasn't even my original destination, I was going to drive up Stevens Canyon and do the Paradise Glacier, but a stop at the Big Bertha viewpoint convinced me that there would still be enough snow on Ruth to make the 3 miles of A-framing the skis up the GB trail worthwhile. And it was one of those do it now or wait til next year things, I figure Paradise Glacier will still be pretty decent for 2-3 weeks yet, wouldn't say that for Ruth, maybe one more week is it.

On drive out, just after WR entrance station saw the biggest elk I've ever seen cross the road 400 yrds in front of me, male with 8 points or more. He got too deep into trees to get a picture. In other wildlife news, the young bears of the GB trail are doing their best to claim the turf. Saw at least half a dozen clawed trees and about the same number of fresh brown piles. OK bear we get the message, you tha man.

« Last Edit: 07/22/12, 11:00 PM by wolfs » Logged
Zap

Re: July 21, 2012 Mt Ruth
« Reply #1 on: 07/22/12, 01:27 PM »

Really enjoyed the TR and photos.  Wink
Don_B

« Reply #2 on: 07/22/12, 01:54 PM »

Wolfs,
Love seeing your evening shots of the places you go. and the generous descriptions.
Lowell_Skoog

« Reply #3 on: 07/22/12, 02:21 PM »

Thanks for the report. Makes me want to ski Ruth Mountain some time. I've never been up there.

For the ski down - snow for top thousand feet was big grain corn, really no cups...

Next thousand cups about an inch but was soft enough that they barely mattered..

The nicest surprise was the last thousand at the bottom.... although there were maybe 2" cups was still soft and good for GS turns over them....

What the summer skiing community needs is a simple rating system for sun cups. A way to instantly tell whether the ski conditions are ideal. No need to estimate dimensions or convert from English to Metric units when talking to Canadian friends. A simple letter system should work:

"...You got the A, the B, the C, and the D. That's the biggest."

"I know the D is the biggest. I based my whole life on knowing that the D is the biggest!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3AMRHXMfjs    Wink
mtneer ordinaire

« Reply #4 on: 07/22/12, 10:17 PM »

Nice meeting you (I think) yesterday afternoon.  Our group of four (1 hiker and 3 skiers) were descending just as you were nearing the summit.  Fantastic day on a modest peak with eye-popping views!

wolfs

« Reply #5 on: 07/22/12, 10:55 PM »

"I know the D is the biggest. I based my whole life on knowing that the D is the biggest!"
Heh.
My conceptualization of cups is imagining how much water the thing could hold at deepest if it was horizontal. But your proposed model would surely lead to more lively onslope debates and comparisons ...

mtneer ordinaire : hi to you to, should've queried for TAY handle, I usually do. Can't imagine there were any other skiers on the mtn other than your group and me. Might've been 2 over on Inter, not sure how fresh tracks I saw were.
ND

« Reply #6 on: 07/27/12, 03:08 PM »

Thanks for the great shot of my groups tents up on Camp Curtis! 
I can testify that there were more skiers on the mountain, I can verify that a team of two made it to the summit.  I nearly cried when I realized that they were going to ski some wind packed pow around the 13k range while I was forced to plunge step it Sad
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.