Home > Trip Reports > July 21 Rainier, Camp Muir (Look if u go tom)

July 21 Rainier, Camp Muir (Look if u go tom)

7/15/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by BrianT on 7/21/12 1:01pm
I'll start off with this is kind of a special report for me. But I'll get to that in a bit. There's still a TON of skiing to be had if you can get there tomorrow. If not, I feel it'll be broken up and you'll lose a mile of extra skiing.

What I did for today was strap my ski's and boots to my pack, and took a pair of hiking tennis shoes that were water proof to muir) I was shredding the snow/trails with those shoes. I've never moved so fast to be honest. Once at Muir, you have full skiing all the way to pebble creek, once there you'll want to pack up your gear, drop down a mile or so to the base of pan point, from here you can actually ski almost to the Visitor Center side of Paradise. I was able to make the whole thing from pan point to here, however, I feel after this weekend, it'll be patch work to do this and won't be worth it. If you take tennis shoes, make sure they're water proof and take a spare set of socks with you too. Also I'd suggest heading out of the parking lot before 9 to make this worth while with the snow melt.

What's so special about this trip? Well, it marks my first poo on the muir snow field, first for me. It marks my fastest time ever from paradise to muir (3:20 minutes), it marks my 9th trip to Muir (3rd since I moved here 3 months ago to the day from TX)

I'm getting better at skiing so this has been really enjoyable to actually learn how to ski different snow conditions.

Be careful past Muir, it's cracking pretty big up there. The Cowlitz has some cracks opening just a hundred or so feet from the tents down a ways from Muir Rock and one right at the base of it, if you slide it's not a deep one, but still could end up getting hurt bad.

PS, I haven't summited yet this year so if anyone is looking for another person to join their rope team to summit, I'd totally down!

TEMPERATURE AND WIND FORECASTS FOR SELECTED LOCATIONS.

SAT    SUN    SUN    MON 
                    NIGHT        NIGHT       

SUMMIT  (14411 FT)    24    20    13    20
                    SW 45  SW 57  W 49  NW 35

CAMP MUIR(10188 FT)    39    32    27    33
                    SW 24  SW 26  W 35  W 20

PARADISE  (5420 FT)    44    53    36    50
                    NW  3  SW  9  W 14  SW 12

LONGMIRE  (2700 FT)    48    65    44    60
                    CALM  CALMM  CALM  CALM
Congrats on escaping Lone Star status.

Hope you blue bagged it.